absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

7 Things to Be Thankful for as University Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

University can often be overwhelming and feel like a cruel reality. The pressure, the lack of sleep, and the often poor diet are enough to make anyone crack. It becomes very hard to see not only the point, but also the positives of the life you are living. So as midterm season approaches and anxiety levels rise, here is a reminder of some small blessings. Recognizing these gifts can help to ground students as the pressure begins to build, and make them see it will all be okay.

1. Having a roof over your head.
  2. Having food on the table (even if it is sub-par).
  3. Having clothing on your back.
  4. Having drinkable water.
  5. Having family and/or friends for support.
  6. Having a life where there is room to have fun.
  7. Getting the opportunity to receive an education.

We often lose sight as students of what the point is, let alone all the things that make us lucky. But the main point is you are doing better than most people in the world. Though school is stressful, it is a privilege and something that will give you the opportunity to not only live a fuller life, but one you can choose. If you are having your basic needs met, have some room to enjoy your life, AND you are receiving an education you are doing just fine. That’s always worth celebrating.

I am a fifth year student in the Honours BA Psychology program, minoring in Political Science at the University of Guelph. Over my first four years as a student I have learned that nothing helps relieve stress like a creative outlet, especially if you are an overly creative person in the social sciences. Growing up in an artistic household, I learned love, happiness, and any other emotion or experience could be expressed productively through various mediums. I learned to draw, paint, dance competitively, take pictures, and, most relevant to this situation, write, all thanks to my super creative mother. As a result, HerCampus is an amazing outlet for my creative side while I bear the pressure of meeting graduate school requirements. I can't wait to see what my final undergrad year with HerCampus has in store!
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!