6 Must Have Decorations in a Dorm Room for the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

It’s November, meaning that Halloween is finally over! Living in a dorm room can get quite depressing at times especially during the holidays. If you’re anything like me, you live 10 hours from home and have no choice but to prep for this fun time of year by yourself. Here are 6 decorations to help you make your room a little more festive!

1. One of the easiest and classic dorm room decoration is definitely Christmas lights. The best part is that they’re totally cute and in style even when this time of year is over!
  1. Since getting a full-sized tree isn’t feasible, get yourself a mini one! They’re adorable and don’t take up much space! It’s also a fun activity to decorate it with the help of your roommate. However, make sure that you have room to store it for after.

1. Since residence rules don’t allow candles, this limits the “smell” options available to make your room smell like your grandparent’s house on Christmas morning. Get yourself a few cinnamon sticks, citrus extract and nutmeg and stick it in a jar. Open the lid and voilà, you’ve gotten yourself a cheap but lovely festive room perfume.

1. A bowl of candy canes is usually a hit with all your friends also counts as a snack for later! Pick a cute jar and even decorate if you want!
  1. Hanging a mistletoe at the entrance of your door is always a conversation starter …
  1. Even if you think that sending mail is out of style nowadays, ask your various family members to send some Christmas cards! Hang up a string and place the cards on it to make a cute card arc. As most Christmas cards have family pictures on them, this will also make you feel more at home and less lonely!

1. Finally, wrap up tiny boxes in wrapping papers to make fake presents (or real ones, it’s really up to you). Place them under your mini tree and let the festivities begin!
Emilie Kelly is the University of Guelph's Chapter Co-Correspondent! She is a Phase 1 OVC student who loves to spend her time with horses, cats, dogs, cows; you name it! (That does indeed make her an Aggie!) You can contact her in French, English, or even Japanese. 
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!