This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

We all know how this time of year gets. While autumn means the leaves are turning pretty colours, pumpkin patches, and cozy sweaters, it also brings along midterms and cold weather. The sky turns from blue to grey, and the nights get longer. Not to mention all the rain we’ve been getting lately! I love a good rainy day but getting soaked every time I leave the house is not my favourite thing.  

The change from sunny weather to icy wind can be overwhelming. A new season can be a very stressful time, especially for university students, and it’s easy to get swept up in your work. So, while you’re crushing those papers and midterm exams, let’s explore a few ways to destress during this spooky season.  

1- Go for a Walk 

The trees are lovely this time of year and admiring them can bring upon a sense of peace. Nature walks allow you to burn negative or tense energy, while getting fresh air and exercise. When you’ve been stuck at a desk all day, there’s nothing better than getting out and moving. Take a walk in the University of Guelph arboretum, or even just down the many paths around campus, and breathe in the fall beauty. Bring your phone or camera for a photo walk. It’s nice to take pictures of the leaves when they are so vibrant. 

2- Enjoy a Hot Beverage 

If you aren’t a fan of the cold, a hot drink is the perfect way to warm up and relax! Try a nice cup of coffee, hot chocolate, or tea to lift your spirits. I always find seasonal flavours like pumpkin spice to be super fun. Extra points if you have a cute mug to drink out of! 

3- Autumn Art 

One thing I like to do with my friends in the fall, is collect fallen leaves. We’ll walk around and pick up the really red leaves, or the ones with cool patterns. You can take your leaves home and press them in between books, decorate your walls, or trace them onto paper. Arts and crafts aren’t just for little kids! Play some music and make art. When you’re stressed out, it helps to focus your energy into something fun. Just make sure no bugs come home with you! 

4- Enjoy some Entertainment  

We’ve all been told that too much TV will rot our brains, but sometimes a bit of Netflix is the perfect way to unwind at the end of the day. There’s no harm in a healthy balance of work and entertainment. In fact, while many people may feel guilty about putting on a show in between classes, our brain needs breaks, and that’s not something we should feel bad about.  

Don’t feel like watching a movie? You can watch YouTube, read a book, or listen to music or a podcast—anything which will allow your brain to sit on autopilot and rest. With all the work you’re doing, you deserve some fun!

5- Spent Time with Loved Ones 

It’s been hard to connect during the pandemic, but your friends are still here for you! When you’re feeling stressed, it can be good to talk about it with someone close to you. If you don’t want to talk about it, spending time with friends in general can help you to destress. Sometimes you just need a laugh. Call up a friend or go out for a walk. Being on your own can make things more stressful, so make sure to stay connected, and check in on your friends as well. They’re probably stressed out too. 

Good luck, and happy autumn! 

Beckett is a fourth year student at the University of Guelph in the position of editor for Her Campus at Guelph. They are majoring in English, with a minor in Creative Writing. They are a poet and a writer with a love of books, nature and shiny things.