5 Things More Important Than Kylie Jenner’s Pregnancy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

So today it was reported that Kylie Jenner, the youngest Kardashian sister, is with child and apparently this news has broken the internet. 

While the world around us is in various stages of crisis, millions of people are losing their shit over the fact that Kylie is pregnant. 

Don’t get me wrong; I’m all for guilty pleasures and indulging in trashy reality shows to escape the real world for a bit, but our real world is in danger right now and there are so many important issues that need our attention more than Kylie Jenner. This is a difficult time for people all across the world in which many of them are fighting for equality and even more of them fighting for their lives. 

What’s Kylie Jenner fighting for? A prime-time television spot? 

Take your head out of the Kardashian world for a moment today and try to learn about some real-world issues that need your attention, in which you can contribute to in order to inspire and create real, impactful change and make a difference in this world. 

1. Flint Water Crisis

I bet many of you are reading this thinking maybe you heard something briefly on the news about Flint a while back, but like isn’t that over already??? Nope. The people of Flint, Michigan have been without clean drinking water for over two years now. TWO. YEARS. Why haven’t they addressed this problem and gotten the people of Flint justice and access to clean drinking water? Because 56% of the people living in Flint are African-American and over 40% of them live below the poverty line. While the world is swooning over what multi-millionaire Kylie Jenner is going to name her baby, America is denying people the basic human right to water simply because they are poor and black. 

2. Hurricanes in the Caribbean 

Last week Hurricane Irma struck a string of Caribbean islands, causing extensive damages along with some casualties. Just when the people of the Bahamas, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico among others, thought they were in the clear, they were slammed by Hurricane Maria. This has left the entire island of Puerto Rico without water or power, while casualty numbers continue to rise as the small nation tries to cope with the storm. While powerhouses like Texas and Florida can easily bounce back from hurricanes due to their well-built infrastructure and government-funded disaster aid, the Caribbean islands do not have the resources to recover from such a big disaster and will likely spend years trying to recoup their homes, buildings, and economies. 

3. Earthquakes in Mexico

Over 200 people have died in Mexico due to a 7.1 magnitude earthquake that struck Mexico City this week. Videos went viral of rescue workers trying to rescue children trapped in the rubble of a school that had collapsed. This earthquake came just a week after an 8.1 magnitude earthquake struck Southern Mexico, killing 90 people. Mexico is another nation that does not have the resources or economic means to repair itself from a disaster like this. Over 5 million people were without power following the earthquake and millions more without homes entirely. 

4. Racism in America 

While racism has always existed in parts of the United States, since January 20th when the current President was sworn in, racism has been amplified, highlighted, and at times it seems like encouraged among white people in America. With Trump excusing Neo-Nazi’s as “very fine people” and attempting to defend Confederate statues it’s no wonder there has been an increase in police brutality and violence against people of colour in America. On top of this, Trump referred to African-American football players who decide to take a knee during the national anthem in protest of the racism in America, “sons of bitches” and called for them to be fired by their respective teams. Yes, he really did say that. The President of the United States referred to black athletes silently protesting “sons of bitches” and referred to Neo-Nazi’s actively acting out acts of violence against black people “very fine people”. Today, hundreds of football players are using their game day to fight back against Trump’s disgusting remarks with many linking arms in solidarity, taking a knee, and many not even taking to the field for the anthem at all. 

5. Donald Trump is Still President 

When he’s not making racist remarks towards African-American athletes and supporting the acts of Neo-Nazi’s, Trump is threatening North Korea, re-tweeting GIF’s that promote violence against women, and attempting to disband Obamacare, because who really needs healthcare anyway? 

Emily is a third year student at the University of Guelph studying Environmental Governance and Geographical Information Systems. She is the President and Campus Correspondent of Guelph's Her Campus chapter, which she founded in 2016. She is also an active member of the Environmental Governance Society and a journalist for the Guelph Gryphons. She spends so much time in the ocean she's half mermaid! She loves to scuba dive and surf, and hopes to one day use her degree to create ocean and marine life protection policies. If she's not in the water, she's in the gym. She has a passion for fitness and also plays competitive hockey. Her biggest passion is travel; she's been to over a dozen different countries and even founded her own travel blog where she documents her adventures around the globe. Emily always has a thirst for adventure and never says no to new experiences. Whether its hiking the edge of a mountain or swimming with sharks, she's always ready to tackle adventure head on! Follow Emily around the world: www.airplanesandavocados.com Follow her journey on Instagram: @airplanesandavocados