As a kid, I loved watching animated movies about magical lands and enchanted creatures. Like most children, I grew up watching Disney films. I also grew up watching Studio Ghibli movies. The animation company makes some of the most magical films of all time, with many underlying themes. The stories are whimsical and otherworldly, and perfect for Halloween if you’re not that into classic horror movies. Here are 5 of my favourite Studio Ghibli movies suited for Halloween:
1. “Spirited Away” is probably the most famous Studio Ghibli movie of all time. The film scared me when I watched it as a kid, but when I watched it again when I was a little bit older, I was able to understand and appreciate some of its deeper meanings. The film does a great job of illustrating overcoming obstacles, growing up, and having courage in the face of adversity.
2. “Howl’s Moving Castle” is probably my favourite Studio Ghibli movie of all time. The movie centers around a young girl named Sophie, whose life is quite uneventful. However, she is swept into a fantastic adventure after being cursed by the Witch of the Waste. A magical world, a charming wizard, a prince has gone missing, an unforgettable experience, and a bit of romance. What more can you ask for?
3. “Kiki’s Delivery Service” is a fantastic coming-of-age story full of magic and adventure! Follow young witch Kiki and her black cat Jiji as they find their place in the world.
4. When two girls move to the country with their father, they meet the many forest spirits that live nearby and get swept up in a fun adventure. “My Neighbour Totoro” is a sweet film that perfectly illustrates the world through the eyes of a child.
5. If “Spirited Away” scared me as a kid, then “Princess Mononoke” absolutely terrified me. Studio Ghibli creates numerous animations and characters, most of which are cute, but some are downright creepy. Some of the scariest Studio Ghibli characters come from this movie. At the end of the day, “Princess Mononoke” tells a compelling story that is both beautiful and meaningful.