Style

5 Random Things You NEED in Your Student House

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

Spring is coming, and that means many student leases are coming to an end. Whether you’re moving into a new house or just want some home décor inspiration, here are 5 things you should absolutely have in your student house!

1. A coffee bar 

Coffee bars are quite possibly the best thing you could put into a kitchen. Start with any coffee maker, whether that’s a Keurig, Tassimo, or even a kettle if you drink instant coffee or tea. Add a few cute mugs, which can be displayed on a mug holder or on a tray. You’ll want to ensure you keep your favourite coffee grounds or pods within reach, so add a small basket beside the coffee machine. Finally, think of everything else you might want nearby: coffee sticks or small spoons for stirring (which can be kept in a jar or cute cup), sugar, honey, straws, or even add-ins like candy canes for hot chocolate! These smaller items can be corralled onto a tray and placed on the counter.  

2. Easy, low-effort plants 

If you don’t already have plants, I need to tell you this: you’re missing out. Maybe you’ve been known to bring about the demise of many houseplants, or you just never developed a green thumb. But there are many plants that are difficult to kill and even flourish with inattention! Aloe vera is a gorgeous succulent which only needs to be watered when the soil starts to dry out (pro tip: keep an aloe vera in your kitchen if you’re prone to burns). Peace lilies require little light and water, and their beautiful flowers will instantly brighten your space. My personal favourite is my pothos plant, or Devil’s Ivy: hard to kill, grows quickly, and can be easily propagated so that you can have multiples of these cuties around the house! 

3. Acrylic containers, dividers, and baskets 

Acrylic containers may also be known as the magical inventions that give you the worldly pleasure of being organized. Put them in your fridge and fill them with fruits, veggies, drinks, and snacks. Put them in your bathroom to hold all of your body, bath, hair, and skincare items. Leave them in your drawers to collect desk necessities, like paperclips, pencils, scissors, and more. Have roommates? Use a label maker to further organize items and keep you from accidentally stealing your roommate’s micellar water because you thought it was yours. See, everyone wins! 

4. Wicker 

Wicker might be one of those home décor trends that you either love or you hate. Personally, I cannot get enough of it. I have enough wicker to be considered a grandmother. My current room has a wicker desk organizer and a wicker peacock chair for one of my plants. I also have a wicker tray and blanket holder. If you want to dip your toes into the comforting grandma-vibes of wicker, you can head on down to your local thrift store or antique store. Many décor resellers are known for their gorgeous wicker finds as well, so if you don’t have any luck on your own, try finding it from a local vintage seller.  

5. Some kind of workout equipment 

Listen, I’m not telling you that you need a full home gym in your student house. But considering what this year has taught us about being prepared, I think it’s a great idea to have some workout equipment on hand. If you prefer bodyweight workouts, or yoga is more your thing, make sure to have a yoga mat on hand that you can roll out whenever a good stretch is needed. I like my ankle weights (bought on Amazon) which add a nice layer of resistance to leg and glute exercises. Or maybe keep a pair of dumbbells! Whichever way you like to work out, it’s great to have items on hand so that you can get some movement in between studying.  

I hope you enjoyed this list! Whether you need to decorate, organize, or add more functionality to your home, I think you’ll find these ideas helpful.  

Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!