This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

Traveling can be such an exciting time, but planning a trip can be stressful. After traveling to Europe three times myself, and planning one month backpacking trip, I have found some travel tips that helped me save money and have a stress free trip.

1. Don’t Fly Direct

I know some people when they are booking flights only want to fly direct, especially with a long flight to Europe. What I have found that works just as good, is flying through IcelandAir or WowAir. Both of these airlines have flights to several European cities with a stopover in Iceland. By flying indirect, you can save a lot of money and break up your flight a bit with the layover. Also, how cool is it to say you’ve technically been to Iceland!

2. Eurail Pass

If you are able to travel by train, I highly recommend it. Trains bring you right into the city centers, as opposed to flying into airports which are typically located outside the cities. This will save you money on transportation to your accommodation. Look into getting a Eurail pass if you will be taking multiple train trips. The passes can be selected by how many countries you want to visit and are a great way to save money. Also make sure to look up student pricing for train tickets!

3. Stay in Hostels

Avoid staying in fancy hotels and spend your money on other things like delicious food or awesome experiences. Many hostels are just as nice as hotels, have more services and provide a great atmosphere for young people traveling around Europe. They’re a great way to meet tons of people and save money on your accommodations.

4. Book with AirBnB

Another great way to avoid hotels is booking through AirBnB. If you travel with multiple people, you can split the total cost and live like the locals in these rented houses or apartments! They are also a great option for you to save money on eating out and cook your own food!

5. Purchase City Discount Cards

Many major European cities have tourist cards that when you purchase them, it gives you free admission to multiple museums, attractions and sometimes transportation around the city. If you do the math and find several attractions you want to go to, often time these cards are well worth the amount to buy them!

Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!