Style

The 4 Biggest Fall Trends You Should Be Wearing Right Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

As the leaves get crispy and the air gets colder, one thing is for sure: it’s time to retire the denim cutoffs and pull out the knitted sweaters again. A sure sign of fall is the changing fashion from previous seasons, entering into a territory of warm neutrals, cozy textures, and trendy silhouettes. Read on to discover some of the best trends of fall 2020 and learn how to incorporate them into your own wardrobe! 

1. Faux leather everywhere 

This first trend has been seen on most fashion influencers this fall, and it’s not backing down anytime soon. Enter faux leather, the cruelty-free alternative to one of my favourite materials; featured on the runway this season from big fashion houses such as Fendi, Versace, and Oscar de la Renta. For a classic look with a trendy spin, try a leather jacket in a neutral tone, such as chocolate or caramel. Or take your chance on faux leather pants, and match them with a blazer and top in coordinating neutrals. Finally, if you’re a little less adventurous, try adding faux leather calf booties to your wardrobe – they pair amazingly with mini skirts, cropped denim, and even more professional trousers.  

2. School uniforms, but cooler 

Have you ever sat and watched Gilmore Girls but was too distracted by their amazing school-uniform-inspired styling? This trend is for you! Preppy styling is in full swing for fall. At Gucci, models wore knee-high stockings and look-at-me collars, while at Burberry, all-plaid looks were running the show. Incorporate the schoolgirl style into your wardrobe by adding a white collared shirt under a sweater vest, or pairing a pleated skirt with your school crewneck. P.S. – you could easily find key pieces for this trend at the thrift store! Look in the men’s section for knitted vests, or the women’s knitted tops for gorgeous vintage sweaters (if you find a Tommy Hilfiger knitted sweater, call me!).

3. Unique cutouts and collars 

Definitely one of the most unique trends to this season is the highlight on construction and interesting silhouettes. In the summer, we saw backless tops all over Pinterest. For the cooler weather, look to details such as the large, frilly collars layered under crewnecks at Celiné. If attention-drawing collars aren’t your thing, try elevated cutouts, in areas such as the collarbones or ribs. My favourite affordable options for this trend come from Zara, who is carrying a wide selection of elevated basics this season.  

4. Lingerie outside the underwear drawer  

Finally, my favourite trend for FW2021 has to be the ultra-feminine, lacey lingerie we saw on most catwalks this season. Although this trend isn’t incredibly work-appropriate, it’s totally wearable – think corsets layered under long jackets, or sheer tops with detailed bras underneath. My favourite take on this trend comes from Saint Laurent, where latex pants were paired with lacey black bralettes. If your underwear drawer isn’t pulling it’s weight this season, don’t worry – try Savage x Fenty or For Love and Lemons for lingerie you won’t want to hide!  

Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!