10 Stationary Items You Need for the Winter Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

I am a big fanatic of stationary items as it is the one thing that I spend my time collecting. I use and review the products afterwards, so I’ve compiled a list of 10 must-have items in your pencil case for the next upcoming semester and where to buy them. 

• Zebra Midliners

Where to find: Amazon

I first discovered these two-sided highlighters in my local bookstore when I lived in Tokyo. These are to this day my favourite highlighters- and I’ve tried many of them. They contain a large tip which is standard size, and a smaller, pencil-like tip to allow for more precise highlighting. These come in a multitude of colours, my favourite set being the warm colours. I do find that the brighter set is not as noticeable on paper and personally prefer darker highlighting. 

• Pentel Energel

Where to find: Amazon

These gel pens do not drag or smudge, leading them to become my favourite pens in my collection. They are comfortable to use over long periods of time and come in a multitude of colours. These pens also have different tip sizes for different uses, ranging from 0.7 mm to 0.3 mm. What’s also very useful is that you only need to buy the actual pen once as amazon sells refills for a much cheaper price. 

• Mono Erasers

Where to find: Amazon

These erasers were also discovered during my Japanese exchange. I first found these at the convenience store that was a 2-minute walk away from my host family’s home in Tokyo, and I have never used a different eraser since. They remove nearly all marks and are a compact size for those who like to have the bare minimum in their pencil case.

Photo by Pixabay from  Pexels

• Mono Correction Tape

Where to find: Amazon

If you’re anything like me, you won’t be able to keep correction tape in your pencil case for very long before it starts unwinding and breaking. I love using liquid correcting tape, but I don’t tend to carry it with me and choose to keep in on my desk instead as it’s not as handy for quick mistakes for assignments you have to hand in class. This correction tape allows you to retract it within the plastic to prevent it from getting caught by other things in your pencil case and also doubles in use as the opposite side is an eraser. This product is a must-buy! 

• Pilot Mechanical Pencils with Dr. Grip

Where to find: Amazon

These mechanical pencils are by far the most comfortable that I have ever found to this day. I originally bought my first pilot pencil at the Sanrio store in Shibuya as it had a Gudetama pattern. However, after 6 years of use, it needed retiring and I’ve recently bought a new one off of Amazon. They are weighted and have a very cushion-like grip. They are easy to refill and come with an eraser at the end of it. They also come in a multitude of colours and patterns for those that are looking for a specific esthetic. It’s also possible to take the entire pencil apart to properly clean it and extend its lifespan as long as possible as they are on the pricey side. However, despite their price tag, it’s totally worth it!

• Post-it Flags

Where to find: Amazon

As there is little space in a pencil case, I do not like to carry around full-sized Post-it notes. However, I do carry around these small flags as they are useful to quickly stick on an important textbook page, or assignment. I really enjoy cuter stickies, but have found that these are the sturdiest to carry around in a pencil case. The cuter ones get to stay home in my Post-it note box to be used where they won’t be as likely to break. 

Photo by Lina Kivaka from  Pexels

• Midori Ruler

Where to find: Ebay [I originally purchased it at a Family Mart convenience store in Tokyo]

This ruler has been my best friend since my exchange to Japan. I absolutely hated carrying a ruler around before I found this product, as they were always either too small or simply too long, which left it a pain to lug it around in my backpack. However, this ruler is great as it is compact like a small ruler and can be used as one, but can also be extended to a full-sized 30 cm ruler by simply flipping it open. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to find it being sold on Amazon at a decent price, but Ebay seems to sell them regularly. 

• Muji  Ball Point Pens 0.38 mm

Where to find: Amazon + any Muji store

These pens are nice and clear when trying to write clear notes. Due to the fact that they have more drag than the Energel Pens, I don’t recommend using these for fast note-taking. They’re more for precision and clear work. I find that the ink really displays well in a crisp-manner. They’re also fairly inexpensive and come in a variety of colours which is handy for note-taking. 

• Muji 6 in 1 Ballpoint Pen

Where to find: Amazon + any Muji store

Although this is not a product I personally use frequently, some of my friends swear by it. This is a 6 in 1 pen produced by Muji which has the same crisp writing as the previous pens. It’s bigger than your standard pen and is heavier, so if that isn’t your cup of tea, then I don’t recommend this product. However, it’s extremely handy for quick note taking and colour-switching between notes.

• Pilot Erasable Friction Pens

Where to find: Amazon + the Guelph Bookstore carries these as well

There’s nothing better than an erasable gel pen when it comes to exam taking. You know it, you’ve all been there- the examiner asks that you write your written portion of the exam in black ink. Yet, if you’re anything like me, this will stress you out as you can’t erase what you’ve written if you’ve made a mistake. Hence, these friction pens come in quite handy! The only downside is that they have a limited ink capacity and I find myself using them up quite fast despite their expensive price. Use them wisely! 

Photo by Te lensFix from  Pexels

Emilie Kelly is the University of Guelph's Chapter Co-Correspondent! She is a Phase 1 OVC student who loves to spend her time with horses, cats, dogs, cows; you name it! (That does indeed make her an Aggie!) You can contact her in French, English, or even Japanese.