This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

Say goodbye to buyer’s remorse and get the most out of your purchase!

There is nothing I love more than finding a piece of clothing that looks way more expensive than its price tag. As a university student, and a fashion connoisseur, I have had to learn how to shop with a budget in mind. Moreover, I have had to learn how to take one piece of clothing, and transform it into multiple outfits in order to get the most out of my purchase.

Recently, on my last trip to the mall, I found that perfect piece of clothing that I was looking for, and it happened to be a skirt. Although it was from Zara, it looked like it was from a higher end store such as Iro or even Sandro Paris, and it was only $45.90! It must have been my lucky day, because there was just one more skirt left, and it happened to be my size. I instantly snatched the last skirt, glanced at the price tag, and without a second thought, I charged towards the attendant at the cash register, plopped down my item, swiped my debit card, and was out of the store in a matter of minutes.

As I was walking through the mall on my way back to my car, I stopped and began to think a few things to myself. First of all, I was extremely happy with my purchase. Secondly, I knew that I wanted to wear my new skirt that night as I was going downtown on a date with my boyfriend, and thirdly, I wondered when I would ever wear that skirt again, other than to the fancy restaurant my boyfriend was taking to me to.

In that moment, I realized that in order to justify my purchase, even though it was not a purchase that burned a hole through my wallet, I had to think of different ways in order to wear it, and so, that’s where this article comes in. Hopefully, the following pictures and tips can give you some inspiration when it comes to styling one piece of clothing multiple ways, for multiple occasions!

Let’s begin!

1. Date night

Skirt: Zara / Jacket: Zara / Boots: Jimmy Choo / Bag: Chanel

As I mentioned earlier, when I purchased this skirt, I knew I wanted to wear it out that night to dinner with my boyfriend, but when I realized how cold it was going to be that night, I knew I had to say goodbye to “bare leg” season, and throw on a pair of warm, thick pantyhose stockings in order to keep my legs warm. On the top, I wore a black, long sleeve shirt, which in my opinion is the perfect layering piece. Over that, I paired a textured bomber jacket with leather accents. I also paired this look with a classic black bag and some suede booties with the perfect heel. The beautiful, deep maroon pattern in the skirt really popped against the rather neutral color palate of my outfit, and the faux leather fabric on my skirt looked great as it complemented the leather detailing on my jacket! Finally, to pull the whole look together, I finished it off with a pop of maroon on my lips to match the design on my skirt!

2. Off to class we go 

Skirt: Zara / Leggings: Aritzia / Sweater: Mendocino / Boots: Jimmy Choo

For this second outfit, I wanted to really show you all how you can take a piece of clothing typically designated for night time wear, and completely transform it, and incorporate it into a day time appropriate look. For this outfit, I started with a grey basic sweater. In my opinion, a warm, cuddly sweater in a neutral color is a wardrobe essential for the winter and can be worn in about 50 different ways, with leggings, with jeans, and even with fitted sweatpants and UGGS for those days when all you want to do is stay under your blankets.

In this look, I used the skirt almost as a substitution for a long layering shirt. I pulled it up just high enough so it covered my (in lack of better words) tush, and put a pair of my favorite leather leggings underneath. Although I was worried that the leather on my skirt paired with the leather leggings would be too much, combined the casual material of my sweater really toned down this look, and made it appropriate to wear to class. I finished this look off with my favorite over- the- knee black suede boots to add more texture.

3. Class Presentation

Skirt: Zara / Leggings: Aritzia / Cardigan: Zara / Shoes: Jimmy Choo

For this look, I incorporated some of the same pieces shown in my previous post, including the leather leggings and the over-the-knee suede boots. I wanted to keep this look rather simple and effortless, yet put together at the same time. Although I absolutely adore the beautiful tweed pattern on the front of this skirt, I realized that if I wore a long enough sweater, I could turn the skirt around, and get two completely different looks for the price of one.

I paired the leather leggings under the skirt as they keep my legs warm as I travel around campus, and make a rather short skirt more modest and appropriate to wear for a class presentation.

On the top, I opted for a white cardigan with beautiful pearl buttons to keep the color palate neutral. Underneath, I selected a simple black long sleeve shirt, for warmth. This cardigan can be worn buttoned up for a completely different look, which truly showcases the elegant pearl detailing.

I simply finished this look off with my everyday book bag.

4. Girls Night Out

Skirt: Zara / Jacket: Zara / Boots: Givenchy Paris

A night out with your best friends calls for some experimenting with fashion! This is my favorite time to mix and match cool pieces from my wardrobe to create a unique look. For this outfit, I decided to really display my edgy fashion sense.

This look starts off with a basic black t-shirt as a base. A black t-shirt is a common theme in most of my outfits as it is so simple, versatile and comfortable. On top of my t-shirt, I draped one of my favorite suede motorcycle jackets in grey with silver hardware. Draping your jacket over your shoulders really creates an effortless vibe, and it also allows you to showcase any statement bracelets you may have as your arms are free from any material that could potentially cover up your jewelry.

Instead of throwing on a pair of heels, I decided to wear combat boots with this outfit to amp up the edge. A pair of shiny combat boots can look really amazing at night time, and you don’t have to worry about sore feet as they keep your feet comfortable all night! You’ll be ready to dance with your besties all night long!

5. Family gathering

Skirt: Zara / Sweater: Nordstrom / Boots: Steve Madden

This last look is probably one of my favorites. This outfit is perfect for a family gathering as it is sophisticated, yet fun at the same time. For this look, I opted for a white sweater to bring out the white stitching in my skirt. I love how this soft, feminine shirt looks against the leather skirt, and the “cold shoulder” cutouts on the sweater are the perfect extra touch.

I decided to wear a pair of sheer black pantyhose stockings for added warmth, and went for black velvet heeled booties to add some height. I pulled my hair back into a ponytail to bring even more focus to the detailing on my sleeves.

I finished this look by keeping the jewelry rather simple, opting for a long gold necklace, a delicate ring and stud earrings.

With a little bit of imagination and flare, one simple piece of clothing can truly be transformed over and over again to create multiple unique outfits!

As you have seen, a piece of clothing can go a long way, so make the most out of your purchase, mix and match items that you already have, and have fun with fashion!

A Criminal Justice and Public Policy major with a love for writing and fashion!  Instagram: Carlyabrahams 
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!