courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why Your Roommates Are Basically Your Family

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Roommates are something that most of us have dealt with. When we come to college, it is most likely the biggest mystery that we are faced with. We wonder about if they are fun, pick up after themselves and if we will be able to have fun with them.  When you finally meet your roommate and begin living together, usually, we learn that they are our family away from home.

Roommates act as our fathers. They stay up to make sure that you get back safely from your date. They also encourage you to not skip class and do your homework. Roommates will also help you fix those little maintenance problems that happen every now and then.

While roommates can be our dads away from home, they also fill that nurturing role of our moms. When you are stressing about all you have to do, they are there to tell you that everything will be just fine. They will run to the drugstore to pick up some medicine when you’re sick, or your favorite hot tea when you have a sore throat. Roommates will listen to you complain about that test you just took and be there for you when you are afraid that you failed. We all miss our moms when we are away, but our roommates definitely help us miss her a little less.

Roommates can be like our parents, but they also hold some qualities that are very similar to our siblings. They will go out with you when you want to forget about some of the stress that every college woman has. They will also make small jokes about that guy in your biology class that you find really attractive, but won’t admit.

It is sometimes hard to be away from your family and we all get homesick, but having roommates that are supportive, loving, fun, and kind make being away a little bit easier. They will take care of you no matter what. Your roommates are truly your family away from home

I currently work with iHeartMedia in digital content and on-air, and run a lifestyle blog. I am a first-generation college graduate with degrees in journalism and film media from Georgia State University. In college, I served as a production assistant for GSUTV; senior editor, social media coordinator and staff writer at Her Campus Georgia State (an online magazine for college women); Vice President of Communications for the Gamma Sigma chapter of Alpha Omicron Pi; and interned with The Adam Bomb Show (a nationally-syndicated night radio show) and The Bert Show (a nationally-syndicated morning radio show). I also secured a spot at Cox Media Group's Day in the Life program, where I presented a presentation to Cox Media and AJC executives on how to increase the AJC's digital audience. I am a member of the Alpha Omicron Pi Women's Fraternity, Society of Professional Journalists, the National Association of Hispanic Journalists, Order of Omega Honor Society, and the Atlanta Press Club. I also run a lifestyle blog that I started in 2015 where I talk about beauty, college, relationships, health, and just navigating life. You can join my little internet family here: www.amandadalvarado.com
The GSU chapter of Her Campus