Why You Should Celebrate Galentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.
When you walk into a store around this time of year, you will see lots of pink, roses, hearts, red,
and all things love­related. Valentine’s Day is coming up and some of us might be spending the
day with family while others have romantic dates planned with their significant other. While
Valentine’s Day is fun and gives us a special day to spend with loved ones, what about our
girls? You know, that group of girls who have been there with a gallon of ice cream and your
favorite movie when your ex dumped you and willingly go places with you at ungodly hours of
the night. Is there a day to celebrate your favorite girls? Yes! February 13th is known to many as
Galentine’s Day.

Unfamiliar with Galentine’s Day? It was coined in an episode of Parks and Recreation by the
one and only, Leslie Knope, played by Amy Poehler. It is February 13th and a day to celebrate your
girls and much more fun than Valentine’s Day. Get your mom, sisters, friends, the lady that
works at Starbucks that always gets your order perfect, and basically any girl that is in your life
together and celebrate! Still not convinced? Here are some reasons why you should celebrate
Galentine’s Day this year.

1. Until you find that special someone, romantic relationships often can cause heartaches and messes, however, friendships get you through those messy times. You mom was there when that boy you liked in middle school made fun of your braces, and your friends were there when that guy you met out in Buckhead stopped texting you.

2. Your mom, sister, and friends have always told you when you didn’t look good or when they didn’t like your attitude. Your girls don’t lie to you, even when sometimes they are a little too honest.

3. Your girls always support every crazy thing you do.When you ran for student body president, they were there. When you wanted to take eighteen credit hours, they stayed up with you while you studied. When you thought twenty shots would be a good idea, they got you home safe and sound.

4. You don’t have to worry about texting or calling at the wrong time. They are always there for you.

5. Need a hug, pep­talk, or lip gloss? Your girls have your covered.

6. They will always tear up the dance floor with you.

7. Want to wear sweatpants three days in a row? No judgment. Want to eat a whole pizza? No judgment. Want to watch High School Musical all day? No judgment. Your girls never judge you and you can always be yourself. 

So, on February 13th, get together with the girls in your life and celebrate! The possibilities of celebration are endless. You can make a playlist of girl­power songs, cook those pinterest recipes you’ve been dying to try, go out to your go­to bar or restaurant, or have a slumber party like you used to years ago and watch your favorite movies. There is more than one way to celebrate, so just do it! Celebrate and let all the girls in your life know how thankful you are for them.

I currently work with iHeartMedia in digital content and on-air, and run a lifestyle blog. I am a first-generation college graduate with degrees in journalism and film media from Georgia State University. In college, I served as a production assistant for GSUTV; senior editor, social media coordinator and staff writer at Her Campus Georgia State (an online magazine for college women); Vice President of Communications for the Gamma Sigma chapter of Alpha Omicron Pi; and interned with The Adam Bomb Show (a nationally-syndicated night radio show) and The Bert Show (a nationally-syndicated morning radio show). I also secured a spot at Cox Media Group's Day in the Life program, where I presented a presentation to Cox Media and AJC executives on how to increase the AJC's digital audience. I am a member of the Alpha Omicron Pi Women's Fraternity, Society of Professional Journalists, the National Association of Hispanic Journalists, Order of Omega Honor Society, and the Atlanta Press Club. I also run a lifestyle blog that I started in 2015 where I talk about beauty, college, relationships, health, and just navigating life. You can join my little internet family here: www.amandadalvarado.com
The GSU chapter of Her Campus