What is the Real State of the Union, Anyway?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

President Barack Obama and the Republican presidential candidates are offering two very conflicting views of America right now. In the president’s last State of the Union address, he described our country as a powerful leader for the rest of the world, with an economy that is stabilizing due to job growth. However, two days later at the latest GOP debate, all the presidential candidates on the stage disagreed.

Instead, the candidates spoke of a very large and looming threat of terrorism that they believe Obama and his administration has gone soft on. They spoke of changes that need to be made concerning gun control, tax cuts and immigration. They said that there is much work that needs to be done to make America great again.

Party to party or person to person, everyone can agree that there are some things that we need to change. However, many Americans are more concerned with issues in the areas of women’s rights, student debt, global warming and domestic terrorism. Some of these things were not mentioned by President Obama in his last address or at the GOP debate.

What we see now as problems that need our attention the most will certainly play a huge part in our future. Whether it’s agreeing that we need to strengthen ties with our allies to fend off terrorism or get rid of Common Core to make our education system better, now is the time to take note during this campaign season. What’s important to remember is this: whether it is the current president or the future one, their job is to keep us safe and satisfied within a productive and progressive society. That power is ours to give to them, so we have to make the right choice once we reach the ballot.

Carlyn Pounders is a senior at Georgia State University in Atlanta. She will be graduating in May with a degree in Journalism (concentration in Multimedia Reporting) and double minor in Political Science and African American Studies. She is an avid consumer of news. She enjoys talking politics or arts and culture.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus