This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Feminism is a word that both men and women generally avoid in all topics of conversation.

With the most recent presidential election, the word ‘feminism’ has spread like wildfire.

As a woman, you are expected to self-identify with being a feminist. If you do not, like many outspoken celebrities have stated, the world frowns upon your declaration.

But why? What is feminism?

Feminism, as defined by Merriam-Webster dictionary, is:

“The theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes; the organized activity on behalf of women’s rights and interests.”

So, feminism equals women equality? Wrong.

Feminism goes beyond professing your love for the equality movement. The word itself is the empowerment of women.

Yes, feminism means supporting equal rights for women.

Yes, feminism means breaking the glass ceiling.

Yes, feminism is the overall justice for women who have been undermined by precedents that are in place from the 1950s.

What feminism does not mean:

-being anti-men, families

-not shaving

-being angry all the time (although we do have plenty to be angry about)

-being a lesbian

-being a women (yeah, dudes can be feminists!)

…and so on.

Feminism is the justification that women are equal to men.

Feminism is the strengthening and empowerment of other women.

We have to encourage one another to go beyond our means, break that glass ceiling, and show the world how strong and powerful we really are.

Clearly, the definition of feminism is different to everyone. One thing we all can agree on? Women are freaking awesome.

More power to us.

Non-Stereotypical Sorority Girl // Professional Dog Walker // Queen of Carpool Karaoke // Coffee Aficionado 
The GSU chapter of Her Campus