This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Prior to Covid-19, whether you were in high school or already tackling college courses, there was a defined structure of when it was time for class and when it was time to relax. However, with the recent incorporation of online learning, scheduling now rests in the hands of the students. 

The flexibility may be viewed as a positive change for some. With classes being moved online and conducted asynchronously, there is a greater opportunity for students to take advantage of this new free time. Some capitalize on the opportunity by working more hours at a job, some use this time to get involved with internships or volunteering, while others may simply use this time to relax, enjoy hobbies, or spend time with family and friends. 

A downside to virtual learning is deadlines. Because of the new learning styles universities are offering, all courses should have their deadlines for assignments set at 11:59 p.m. rather than some odd time early in the morning or the middle of the afternoon. When professors place deadlines that go against the typical midnight cutoff point, it creates more stress on the student to figure out how the assignment will be completed before the due date. At this point, there is now an overlap of the student’s personal life and their education. 

In addition, most professors do not start grading the work right after the deadline. At times it may take two to five days for a student to receive their grade back on an assignment that was originally due Monday at 11:59 a.m.

Now, some may argue that with proper time management that midday deadlines would not be a problem. However, even if a student did properly manage their time wisely, other outlying factors such as poor mental health, sudden day-to-day incidents, work from other classes, or just simply forgetting can disrupt a student’s scheduling momentum. It is taken into consideration that one professor may have to teach multiple classes, but regardless, it seems as if these odd deadlines are created more to benefit the professor rather than the student. 

An overlap of school bleeding into a student’s personal life causes a lack of organization and stress. Teachers have the ability to implement small changes that would aid the student while learning online, yet many of them still fail to do so.

Although most teachers are not offering consistent due dates, there are strategies to help your educational and time management performance. Try setting phone reminders. Doing so will ensure that you’re on top of your schedule even while on the go. Even if you don’t get started working right away, another tip is to make a daily habit to check the class schedule using the course calendar tool. This will help you focus and prioritize what needs your immediate attention for the day.

Following these tips will greatly enhance your school performance while juggling a load of coursework and a busy personal schedule.

Nia-Simone Sherwood is a journalism major at Georgia State University. Her interest includes playing the guitar, creating funny videos, and writing. Nia-Simone hopes to work with youth who are also interested in journalism and help build their journalistic skills.