This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

We can act like it’s not happening, but it is. You come to college expecting this wonderful and great experience, but you end up feeling alone. Maybe the stress of classes has you feeling down or the fact that you haven’t really made any friends. It can feel like the weight of the world is crushing your shoulders and that you are missing out on life.

I was there a couple of years ago. Coming out of an abusive relationship and not having many friends, I felt beyond alone. The only relief I had was from self-harm. I wasn’t getting the help I needed and those feelings festered until I became suicidal.

That’s the scary thing about college, I may have felt alone, but I wasn’t. In lieu of a recent suicide on our campus last semester, I feel like this is an issue that can’t go undiscussed. I was one of those students that was about to attempt suicide.  There are many others that don’t talk about it. If you are one of those students, listen carefully: your life is worth it.

LGBTQ students, students of color, female students, veteran students, any and all students, a lot of us have felt suicidal. Even if no one else comes out and says it, I will. I was on the verge of killing myself. I kept quiet as to not bother or annoy anyone, but that wasn’t okay because I only became worse, to the point where campus police had to come and reassure me. I don’t want anyone to feel like that.

There are hotlines to call and if it has gotten to a point that you are seriously about to kill yourself, call 911. Suicide is a very serious issue and it cannot wait to be discussed because then it will be too late.

No class is worth your life. Scratch that… nothing is worth your life. You are worth everything. Mental health days are okay. If you need to bail on plans with your friends or skip class because your mental health is on the line then please, do so. Don’t let anyone guilt or shame you.  

If you are feeling so overwhelmed and stressed that you can’t possibly do it anymore, I want you to stop and take a mental health day. Watch Netflix all day, pop some popcorn or order some pizza, take a bubble bath or read your favorite book. Do whatever puts your mind at ease and let someone know if you feel hopeless or helpless. I assure you that someone cares.

You’re strong and you are worth it, you will make it through. And to others reading, don’t keep suicide among college students silent anymore. A life is depending on it.

The GSU chapter of Her Campus