State Not Southern: GSU Baskeball Fans & DJ Help the Panthers to a Victory

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

If you are a student at Georgia State University, then you are well aware of our love/hate relationship with our rival, Georgia Southern. They are under the assumption that they are the “real” GSU. However, after losing to both their football and basketball team once last year, we have been waiting for our chance to reclaim the title. December 5th, our football team headed down to Statesboro to face the Eagles. They shocked everyone and came back to Atlanta with a 34-7 victory. That was only the beginning!

Last Tuesday night, our basketball team faced the Eagles for the first time this season. The sports arena was filled for a sold-out game. The energy and stakes were high. The lead went back and forth between our Panthers and the Eagles. Everyone was on the edge of their seats. That did not keep the fans from being hype, thanks to DJ Marc B. I got the chance to ask him how his experience was that night. I asked what his go-to song was when the crowd was getting quiet. He said, “When the team was down, my first idea was to play Swag Surfin to get the whole student section moving and then majority of the stadium started to participate.” When the song played, almost everyone began rocking “Left to Right”. Here is a video of the moment.

“Instead of letting the beat drop (how most DJ’s would), I dropped Ritz Carlton by Plies (Ran off on the plug twice). It threw tons of people off in a perfect way, because it was still a song most people knew and could still dance to”, Marc B explained. After the perfect mix by the DJ, the game resumed with everyone on their feet.

In the last few seconds of the game. The score was tied, 55-55. With a second left on the clock, Isaiah Williams, shot a long 3 pointer. The buzzer rang and the crowd went crazy! The atmosphere was so amazing, even though the last shot did not count, sending the game into overtime. That is largely credited to the “6th man” (the GSU fans) and the DJ For the night DJ Marc B. He kept the crowd dancing the entire game. I asked him how it felt to get a sold out arena that hype. “To have the whole crowd chanting the lyrics is a surreal feeling every time, even though I know the reaction that’s coming,” The players could feel the energy in the arena which helped them in overtime. Georgia State won the game, 69-66 and officially wear the title as the “REAL” GSU.

All thanks to the “6th” man, and D.J Marc B that kept the Panthers’ spirit alive. Head Coach Ron Hunter recently sent out an email thanking the fans for attending and for cheering the team onto victory. He challenges fans to have the same energy for the rest of the home games this season. DJ Marc  B says the plan is still in the air, but he will most likely be the DJ at more home games. The next basketball home game is February 4th, 7:30 pm.

Sophomore at Georgia State University. Journalism major, Marketing minor. GSU Cheerleader. Editorial and Publicity Team for Her Campus GSU. IG & Twitter: xLexxLove
Hey there! I'm Krystal, the former 2015-2017 President of Her Campus GSU, and an alumna of Georgia State University. You can now catch me on krystalcaliyah.com. Cheers!