Culture > News

Stacey Abrams Isn’t Conceding to Brian Kemp and Other Election Results

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

It was a tight race between Democrat Stacey Abrams and Republican Brian Kemp in this year’s election for governor. With projections showing Kemp taking the lead, Abrams said she is not conceding yet. She argued that this race is too high stakes and close to call.

“Because Georgia still has a decision to make”, Abrams said, “a decision between division and trickery or leadership that defends your rights, your kids, your career, your community, and your right to vote in America.”

Jason Mcgowan/Getty Images

Under Georgia law, if no candidate wins more than 50 percent of the vote, then the top two candidates advance to a runoff election.

With 100% of the precincts reporting, Kemp had 50 percent or 1,962,547 votes, Abrams had 49 percent or 1,887,161 votes, and Ted Metz with 0.9 percent, or 36, 706 votes, according to the AJC.

The runoff would be held on Dec. 4 and would be the first ever general election runoff for governor in Georgia.  

Other Election Results Include:

Lieutenant Governor

Geoff Duncan, the Republican nominee, wins with 52 percent against Democrat Sara Riggs Amico with 48 percent.

Secretary Of State

Republican Brad Raffensperger wins with 49 percent against Democrat John Barrow, with 48 percent, and Libertarian Smythe Duval, with two percent.

Attorney General

Republican Chris Carr wins with 52 percent against Democrat Charlie Bailey with 48 percent.

Other election results for Georgia can be found on the AJC website.

Across the nation, history has been made. The Democrats now control the House of Representatives. Women, Muslims, and LGBT community members have now secured historic wins on election day.  On Nov. 6, 116 women were elected and 42 were women of color. Sharice Davids became the first gay Native American woman elected to Congress and Jared Polis is the nation’s first openly gay governor. More information can be found on the CNN website.

Hi! My names Allyn Haynes. I'm a recent transfer student from Georgia State University to the University of Georgia. I am a Journalism with a minor in fashion merchandising. If I'm not writing you can catch me listening to Frank Ocean or binge watching a tv show. Thanks for stopping by and giving my article a read!
The GSU chapter of Her Campus