andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Spot the Signs: Domestic Violence Awareness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Domestic abuse or domestic violence is a very serious epidemic today. We have all either seen it, experienced it ourselves, or heard about it. There have been multiple cases of this in the media and surprisingly, many of these disputes have included well-known celebrity couples. It is important that people understand that this is an aspect of an unhealthy relationship. Many think that domestic abuse is only physical, but it can also be psychological, financial, emotional and even sexual.

According to The Huffington Post, 84% of domestic abuse victims are women and 15% are men. Domestic violence can happen to anyone, so it is crucial to keep an eye out for signs that indicate that you or someone you may know is in danger.  

Arguments and poor communication are typically common in relationships, but if your partner continuously criticizes your every action or regularly blames you for things, you may be in an unhealthy relationship. Your significant other should never treat you less than you are. A person who truly loves you will not do anything to purposely hurt you or break you down.

The biggest red flag of domestic violence is physical abuse. Your significant other should not be putting their hands on you in an aggressive or harmful way under any circumstances. If you or someone you know is constantly trying to hide bruises or scars and are regularly making excuses as to how they got there, this is a fair warning that your affiliation with your partner is a negative one. According to the website, End the Fear, it states that abuse is a systematic pattern of control and intimidation, so although a partner may apologize for an incident, it is very likely for it to recur frequently, while gradually becoming more severe. In this circumstance, it is imperative that you seek guidance regarding your safety and psychological stability.

Sexual abuse, also a form of physical abuse, can be defined as your partner forcing you to have unwanted sex or to partake in any other kind of unwanted sexual activities. People often think that there can’t be such a thing as sexual abuse in a relationship, but it is a very common issue that many fall victim to. Most domestic violence cases aren’t reported, but it is important to be aware of the signs. If you notice that someone you know is experiencing this, there is nothing wrong with reaching out. Make sure to let that person know that you are there to support them and that you can be trusted to know what is going on. There are different help hotlines available to give specialized support and advice to anyone who has become a victim to domestic violence.  

Although physical abuse is the largest issue, verbal abuse is a form of emotional abuse that has just as much of a negative effect on an individual, if not more. According to Kathy Bosch’s article “When Words Are Used as Weapons”, she states that most physical and sexual abuse begins with verbal aggression or abuse. Unfortunately, this kind of occurrence is commonly overlooked, mostly because people think that if you can’t physically see it, then it isn’t really there.

While emotional and physical manipulation play a role in domestic violence cases, being kept under lock and key is something to look out for. If you are excessively having to update your partner on what you’re doing, where you’re going, or who you’re hanging out with, you may be involved in an unhealthy relationship. Authority and control are the sole purposes of abuse. This sense of power allows the abuser to take advantage of the victim and have dominance in the relationship.

Through all of this, just know that you are not alone and that you should not blame yourself. If the opportunity presents itself where you can safely reach out to a friend or family member for help, take it. It is important that someone else knows what you are going through. Recognizing that you are being abused is the first step to getting help.

Ashley Mayo is a recent graduate Georgia State University with a Bachelor of Art in Journalism. She has a passion for reading self-help and fiction books, writing, women's health, and a large cup of caramel coffee. Her personal goals include discovering her purpose, loving herself, and having a happy, fulfilling life.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus