Right or Left: Which Way Do You Lean?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

With the presidential campaigns in full swing, political issues are all over the news. It is nearly impossible to turn on the news or open your news app without a story about the current presidential campaigns. While some Americans already know who is going to get their vote in the primaries, there are still many who are unsure. As college students, many of us may be voting for the very first time, and quite frankly, it can be a bit overwhelming. If you feel overwhelmed with the presidential election, keep reading because this article gives a brief overview of the two major political parties in the United States and includes a link to a great website that will help you discover which party you identify with most and which candidate fits your beliefs best.

You might strongly identify with one party or maybe you find yourself falling in the middle. When choosing who to vote for, there are several candidates running for president right now and you might be confused. You might be asking yourself which party you identify with. Perhaps you are tied between a few individuals: Sanders or Clinton? Rubio or Carson? Where do we start? It is important to think about which political party you identify with most. The two most prominent political parties are the Democratic party and the Republican party. These two parties have different opinions and stances on how government should run.

The Democratic party advocates social and economic equality and favors a mixed economy while providing government intervention and regulation in the economy. The term “modern liberalism” is often associated with the Democratic party. Past presidents involved in the party include Franklin Roosevelt and John F. Kennedy. President Barack Obama is a member of the Democratic party and current presidential candidates are Hillary Clinton, Bernie Sanders, and Martin O’Malley.

The Republican party supports free market capitalism, a strong national defense, and social-conservative policies. The term “conservative” is often associated with the Republican party. Past presidents involved in the party include Ronald Reagan and Abraham Lincoln. The current presidential candidates are Jeb Bush, Ben Carson, Chris Christie, Carly Fiorina, Mike Huckabee, Jim Gilmore, Mike Kasich, Rand Paul, Marco Rubio, Donald Trump, and Rick Santorum.

Be sure to check out the party websites and do your own research to know where you fit best. ISideWith is a great website that asks you questions about both personal and political views to help you figure out what party and which candidate you side with best. We all need to be educated about our government system and the political parties because as college students, we are the future of this country.

I currently work with iHeartMedia in digital content and on-air, and run a lifestyle blog. I am a first-generation college graduate with degrees in journalism and film media from Georgia State University. In college, I served as a production assistant for GSUTV; senior editor, social media coordinator and staff writer at Her Campus Georgia State (an online magazine for college women); Vice President of Communications for the Gamma Sigma chapter of Alpha Omicron Pi; and interned with The Adam Bomb Show (a nationally-syndicated night radio show) and The Bert Show (a nationally-syndicated morning radio show). I also secured a spot at Cox Media Group's Day in the Life program, where I presented a presentation to Cox Media and AJC executives on how to increase the AJC's digital audience. I am a member of the Alpha Omicron Pi Women's Fraternity, Society of Professional Journalists, the National Association of Hispanic Journalists, Order of Omega Honor Society, and the Atlanta Press Club. I also run a lifestyle blog that I started in 2015 where I talk about beauty, college, relationships, health, and just navigating life. You can join my little internet family here: www.amandadalvarado.com
The GSU chapter of Her Campus