Remembering Fellow GSU Panther, Charles Rudison

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Charles Rudison was a business major at Georgia State University. He is described by family and friends as being “outgoing” and “funny.” A member of our very own student body had his life cut short, but here is what some of the people who knew Rudison had to say about him.

“He worked at Subway and would always come and sit with us. He was seriously one of the funniest people ever.”

• Rebecca Frank, friend

“He used to work at Subway, which is how I met, I walked in there one night and he immediately started cracking jokes and he was so funny, I mean, probably one of the funniest people I’ve ever met in my life. I used to go to Subway every single day he worked just because he was so much fun to be around. He wanted to be successful. He wanted to break this mold that the world had set for him. He was so kind and understanding. He inspired me to be a better person and now, I have to be. I have to keep going and show the world that we, as young adults, are so much more capable, intelligent, and determined then what everybody thinks we are.”

• Emily Bryant, friend

“Charles was always an outgoing person.  There was never a dull moment with him. There’s so many memories I can share about Charles, but one thing I want to say is that he was a great person, a great lab partner. I saw his potential in society and knew that he would make an impact somehow, in some way. He would tell me about all these big future plans. I will never forget him.”

• Sherdia Francis, friend

“So basically Charles and I have known one another our whole lives. We were referred to as Irish twins by many, because we shared the same age for a month. People even thought we were twins when we were younger because of how much we look alike. We both would make fun of each other saying we were not twins because we looked nothing alike, calling one another ugly. That’s what Charles was known for, He was always the jokester keeping you laughing because of how goofy he was. Charles was really a great person who was bound to do great things. I even once told him he was my role model, while cringing because that would feed his ego and it was so cheesy, but it was the honest truth. He really had it together and if he wanted something, he would not complain about not having it, but actually try to get it. The majority of the time, he got what he wanted. Charles was my best friend. As I said before, he was there from the very beginning. We known each other our entire lives. We faced multiple hardships together and due to that, we understood one another clearly. We fought and argued like any brother or sister, but at the end of the day we loved one another. However, we never voiced it because that’s super cheesy. We showed our love for one another more through our actions. I guess that was something we learned from our dad. I’m really hurt by all of this because no expects something like this to ever happen to them. He was my best friend. He was my blood and it just tears me up thinking how his life was taken from him. He did not deserve this. I swear I always thought he was going to grow up to be somebody great however, due to senseless violence, that was prevented. I’m just glad I was able to talk to him hours before he was killed and I love and appreciate everyone who was able to spend time with him before his death.”

Charles and his sister, Karla, when they were children

“Charles was well loved by others, and he loved his friends as well. I’m in an americorp called City Year and in it you can dedicate your red jacket to and ideal, value or person. I decided I’m going to dedicate my red jacket to Charles, along with my dad. Charles would want me to continue on being successful in life, despite this terrible time I’m going through, and I’m going to do just that. I love you Charles. Be in peace, and try to not have too much fun with our dad without me.”

• Karla Jones, sister

Charles, and his sister, Karla

Rudison was a Georgia State student, so there are several ways that you can show Panther love to his family and help them during this time.

Preparations are being made to send a large set of flowers to the services. The arrangement is planned to be in Georgia State University’s colors. Donations for this arrangement will be taken until Tuesday, September 6, and any additional funds will go to Rudison’s family to assist with the cost of the funeral arrangements.

There are two large cards that read, “His wings were ready, but our hearts were not. From our family to yours, The Panthers.”

To donate and/or sign the cards, students have several options beginning Thursday after 11 a.m.

1. To sign the cards, go to the Student Government Association, which is located one floor about the bookstore.

2. To make a donation, go to the 12th floor of the Robinson College of Business. Go to Ms. Mocha Trimier’s office, which is located across from the elevators.

3. If you would like to donate, but cannot go to the Robinson College of Business, you can donate using Cash App to 6784994854 or DBrumley, or through PayPal to DBrumley2@student.gsu.edu.

Charles Rudison put smiles on faces, impacted so many lives, and will be missed.

I currently work with iHeartMedia in digital content and on-air, and run a lifestyle blog. I am a first-generation college graduate with degrees in journalism and film media from Georgia State University. In college, I served as a production assistant for GSUTV; senior editor, social media coordinator and staff writer at Her Campus Georgia State (an online magazine for college women); Vice President of Communications for the Gamma Sigma chapter of Alpha Omicron Pi; and interned with The Adam Bomb Show (a nationally-syndicated night radio show) and The Bert Show (a nationally-syndicated morning radio show). I also secured a spot at Cox Media Group's Day in the Life program, where I presented a presentation to Cox Media and AJC executives on how to increase the AJC's digital audience. I am a member of the Alpha Omicron Pi Women's Fraternity, Society of Professional Journalists, the National Association of Hispanic Journalists, Order of Omega Honor Society, and the Atlanta Press Club. I also run a lifestyle blog that I started in 2015 where I talk about beauty, college, relationships, health, and just navigating life. You can join my little internet family here: www.amandadalvarado.com
The GSU chapter of Her Campus