This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Spring break is just around the corner! With midterms coming and going and the weather finally warming up enough to feel like it’s a new season, I think we all need a well-deserved break. Spring break are every college student’s favorite words. Every year, thousands of college students head everywhere from the nearest beaches to the furthest resorts in and out of the country. With so much to do, how is it possible to know how to make the most out of your spring break without going completely broke? How can you be sure that everything will go according to plan? You make one! In order to make the most our of your week long vacation, you need to get in the mindset that you plan on making as many memories as possible with the people you love, because life is short.

Here are a few tips to ensure that your spring break isn’t only good, but one of the greatest experiences of your young life!

Be Different

Most college students I come across see Miami or Panama City Beach as the best spring break spot. Although, that can be true it still isn’t the only option. This world is huge and there are way more fun and beautiful places that could use our presence! Make sure that when you and your friends choose where to go for your vacation, that it’s somewhere you all actually want to go and not because most people are going there. Try Cancun! Or something even more unheard of, like skiing in Colorado. Just make sure you pick somewhere you all can agree you’ll have a good time at.

Research and Plan Early

Nobody likes last minute trips, especially when coordinating it with college students who need more notice due to the common problem of having low funds. In order to prevent the headache, it’s best to plan early. Book your flights at least two months in advance, because prices shoot way up when they know spring break is coming around. The same goes for hotels. If you plan on driving to wherever you are, make sure you make all the riding arrangements you need. Compare flight and hotel prices using credible websites. Keep in mind that not everything that’s cheaper is the best option. Give yourself enough time before the actual trip to do all the research you need.

Make a Budget and Stick to it

It can be challenging to create a budget for bigger trips like this, especially when it involves your closest friends joining you along the ride. Make sure you keep in mind that you don’t want this trip to take all your savings. This is why you plan early too! It’s okay to splurge a little bit because why not? You’ve been working hard all semester, and you need a little fun! Just remember that there is a life and a world after the break that can most of the time require money.

Use Traveling Apps

Who needs maps and expensive travel agents? We are young and broke. Let’s use what we have All you need are FREE traveling apps to get you through the week. Download Citymapper, the free ultimate transit app for navigating large cities, to help you explore like a pro in the quickest and cheapest way possible. Use Lyft, of course, to get you from place to place without the expensive cost of hauling a taxi or driving your own car. Use Tilt, kind of like the ultimate CashApp for group trips, to pool money to pay for a shared hotel, concert or other events to prepare for your trip. When using these apps and more, try not to share too much on social media. We wouldn’t want anyone to pinpoint your exact location.

Be Responsible and Safe

Although traveling is supposed to be fun, not everyone in the world is nice about it! Make sure you take the proper precautions to ensure you and your friends are safe. Things don’t always go as planned, but don’t let that stop you from having a good time. Never travel alone. Watch your own and each other’s backs, know where you are at all times, keep your phone charged and always let someone know what you’re doing and where you are. These are things that can get kind of redundant as we get older, but it’s important to remember that these things are said for a reason!

Your spring break is a part of your experience as a young college student! You will never get this time back, so why not doing something crazy and different? Why not do something with your best friends and create new memories?        

My name is Mirakle Stillman and I am currently a student at Georgia State University. My major is Journalism with a concentration in Public Relations and a minor in Film and Video. I am a part of HerCampus GSU where I work as a Public Relations Director as well as writing editorials. I plan on going into the media fields that include broadcast journalism, public relations, and television/radio production. I love chocolate chip cookies, dogs, contemporary hip hop, hair, shopping and laughing for hours at a time! I hope to make my voice heard one day on multiple platforms. XOXO
The GSU chapter of Her Campus