Our First Campus Celebrity: Neia Omer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

This week’s Campus Celebrity is Neia Omer, one of the most charming, kind-hearted, vibrant spirits you’ll ever meet at Georgia State.  Each school year, Georgia State University recognizes a student who has demonstrated an outstanding level of commitment to the university, by awarding them the Nell Hamilton Trotter Award. This award is known as the highest student leadership award presented by the university. This year’s Nell Hamilton Trotter Award recipient is fall 2014 graduate, Neia Omer.

We got a chance to sit down with Neia to discuss her leadership development and overall experience at Georgia State.

What is your favorite memory relating to your student involvement at GSU?

“My favorite memory was working the 1913 Society events, because it allowed me the opportunity to interact with other student leaders who were passionate about GSU, and people who’ve impacted the university in various ways. I was able to learn lessons, develop professionally, and attend amazing events!”

How has your involvement in student organizations aided your personal growth?

“My involvement in student orgs definitely helped me build my confidence and public speaking skills. Before my involvement, I was usually hesitant to go for opportunities and would always make excuses, but with my new found confidence in myself, my body, and my abilities, I grew in more ways than I could have ever imagined.”

What tips do you have for students who aspire to be student leaders at GSU?

“My piece of advice is to avoid getting involved in everything and anything because everyone else is doing it. To be a student leader, you must have passion and willingness to learn or grow.  Ask yourself if this is something you really want to do. Also, as student leaders, we often find ourselves often saying “yes,” so do not be afraid to say “no.” People may appreciate you for your honesty. Lastly, always remain humble and ready to learn.”

If you could sum your college experience up in one word, what would it be? Explain

“Gratitude. I would use this word because I am so thankful for everyone I met, the challenges I had to conquer, the relationships I built (the good and the bad), and the personal and professional growth I experienced.”

Chinelo Okona is a senior marketing major at Georgia State University. As an aspiring couturier, Chinelo enjoys writing, blogging, sewing, and fashion photography.