Oprah for President in 2020?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

On Jan. 7 at the 75th Annual Golden Globes, Oprah Winfrey became the first African-American women to receive the Cecil B. DeMille Award, a honorary Golden Globes Award presented by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association for “outstanding contributions to the world of entertainment”, and   Winfrey’s speech was one to remember.

Winfrey dedicated her speech to  many great actors that came before her actors such as Sydney Poitier, who received the same award in 1982 at The Golden Globes. Winfrey also dedicated her speech to the #MeToo and the Times Up movements, which both bring awareness on sexual harassment in the workplace.

“What I know for sure is that speaking your truth is the most powerful tool we all have and I am especially proud and inspired of all the women who have felt strong enough and empowered enough to speak up and share their personal stories,” Winfrey said in her Golden Globes acceptance speech.

Winfrey concluded her speech by saying, “So I want all the girls watching here now to know that a new day is on the horizon and when that new day finally dawns it will be because of a lot of magnificent women, many of whom are right here in this room tonight and pretty phenomenal men fighting hard to make sure that they become the leaders who take us to the time when nobody ever has to say ‘Me Too’.”

Winfrey’s speech ended with a standing ovation from the audience and we can see why  social media has been buzzing with people tweeting, “Oprah for president 2020.”

CNN Political Analyst April D. Ryan tweeted, “ If Oprah ran for president in 2020, she is every person. She has been poor & rich. She is also a self made Billionaire. She has a grasp of the issues as she used to cover local politics. She can articulate any issue and she has mass appeal beyond race & gender.”

According to a CNN article, two close friends of Oprah told CNN that Oprah is “actively thinking” about running for president.

Even though fans want Oprah to run for election in 2020, Oprah’s longtime best friend, Gayle King thinks she is “intrigued” by the idea of running for president on CBS This Morning show.

“I do not think at this point she is actually considering it…. I don’t think she is actively considering it at this time,” said King.

*All photos courtesy of Twitter, ABCNews, Sheknows.com  

Courtney Jackson is a student at Georgia State University, where she is studying journalism with a concentration in public relations and a minor in Spanish. Jackson is currently a staff reporter for HerCampus online magazine, and she was formerly a staff reporter for Georgia State’s newspaper, The Signal. She is a member of the National Association of Black Journalists. Her goal is to find an internship that will allow her to utilize skills that she will need in her print journalism career. When she isn’t busy studying or writing stories, she loves to go to fashion events and watch Scandal.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus