Wellness

Offline to Online: A Student’s Guide to Successfully Mastering Online Learning During COVID-19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Despite the disruption of the coronavirus and government-issued stay-at-home orders, we still have a semester to finish! Here are some tips on how to successfully complete a semester through distance learning. 

1. Set goals you want to achieve by the end of the semester. Make sure to keep the end goal in mind when the semester starts to get overwhelming or difficult. 

2. Time management is the key to success. Recognize your distractions and cut them out. If Netflix is keeping you from turning in an assignment on time, don’t turn it on. If Instagram is keeping you from typing up a paper that is due on Monday, don’t log on. Make sure you are dedicating around 15 hours a week towards studying. 

Unsplash

3. Determine the best place for you to study. This can vary from a desk in your bedroom, the kitchen table, or a room that is not often used. Use this area as a quiet, distraction-free place to learn. 

4. Email your professors with questions or concerns! It may be intimidating at first, but they are here to help you. 

5. Use whatever study tips work best for you. Make study guides. Use notecards or Quizlet if you prefer an online database. Create charts or diagrams with information from your notes. 

6. Make sure you incorporate time for study breaks. Taking a walk or a bathroom break for a designated period of time can give your brain the rest needed to take on more learning. 

The Lalagirl On Computer
    Her Campus Media

7. Find a study group within your class. This is a great way to gain clarity in a class, prepare for a test and be around other motivated and encouraging students. 

8. Utilize links such as Khan Academy and Grammarly to make completing assignments easier.  Use these tools to simplify studying and organizing information.

9.  All work and no play may result in a sudden case of burnout. Getting lunch with a friend, exercising, and taking up a hobby can teach you how to balance school and extracurriculars which is a necessary asset in your post-graduate life.  

be the change you wish to seek. atl | gsu
The GSU chapter of Her Campus