Notable Alumni: Anthony J.R. ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

One thing GSU is known for is it’s style, and this alumni celeb was definitely one of the best dressed men on campus. He has an ear for music, eye for fashion, and an ambition for success that is truly inspiring. Meet Anthony!

Name: Anthony J.R.

Year: Graduated May of 2015

Degree: Computer Information Systems

Hometown: Duluth, Georgia

Campus Involvement: VP of Information Technology for ISACA, Radio Host for 88.5 FM and Men’s Fashion Director for Entermediate

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/laidbackallure

Her Campus: Most Memorable GSU Moment(s)?

Anthony J.R.: My good friends and I would do interviews three times a week regarding pop culture, politics, bizarre and any other miscellaneous topics to get a feel for where the student body minds’ were at. This was a major part of how I got to know so many people at Georgia State.

HC: What have you been up to since graduation?

AJR: Well in regards to my degree, I’ve been working as a software developer for an IT Staffing and Consulting company. Every time I’m in the office, I’m working on projects related to developing apps and becoming more knowledgeable on different software and hardware infrastructures.Outside of work, I’m always involved in different projects and really just embodying my brand more.

HC: What would you tell your freshman self now that you have graduated?

AJR: A lot of the things I look back at aren’t cool and there will be people around you to make you think otherwise. Pay attention to your own conscience. If it doesn’t feel right, don’t get involved.

HC: What are some of your goals for post-grad life?

AJR: I want to be even more focused than I already am. College brought a lot of distractions and luckily I was able to remove myself from it but post grad brings a whole different spectrum of distractions. I definitely want to improve on anything I get involved with both media and software related but also build another strong layer of faith with God.

HC: How did you get into radio?

AJR: It’s crazy. I’ve always liked being able to talk and have a group of people actually engaged in what I was saying. It was a good feeling. I was 17 years old and attended an open mic event in Atlanta and one of the judges happen to be a local radio personality. After exchanging contact information and being consistent, I interned with him for about a year before he asked me to be a part of the show. I’ve been even more of a fan ever since.

HC: How was your experience being on GSU’s radio station?

AJR: Great! The thing about Album 88 is that it’s student ran. Of course the main supervisor or point of contact was an older adult but as far as management goes, they were students. I met some cool people that put me on so much eclectic music that I would of never thought of listening to.

HC: What is Laidback Allure, and what is your involvement with it?

AJR: Laidback Allure is an oxymoron that describes a lifestyle that showcases a relaxed persona but also displays an artistic desire to explore and discover. To some that up and put it into perspective, it’s a lifestyle brand composed of different installments from music to our appreciation of style and design. I am actually the creator and brand director of it.

HC: What does fashion mean to you?

AJR: Fashion is more external than anything, with style being internal. It’s all about what’s socially appropriate at the time. It’s the sense of wearing clothes in general. Designers put clothes in their stores based off what’s acceptable at the moment. This is the reason why designers have different seasons; it’s because of how well we styled their previous collection.

HC: Describe your style in three words.

AJR: Eclectic, Cool and Personal 

HC: Who is your role model?

AJR: I have a different role model for different things, but the biggest one has to be Mr. Pharrell Williams.

Quick Quiz!

• Who is your celebrity crush? Draya Michelle
  • What is your biggest pet peeve? I hate asking for favors but if I ask you for one, please tell me you can’t handle it prior to waiting last minute.
  • Favorite magazine? Esquire
  • Favorite movie? I have so many wow. That’s hard, but I’m going with How High. I’ve been a fan ever since I first saw it.
Ashley Drayton is an alumna of Georgia State University, with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Journalism. Since being involved with Her Campus, she was co-founder and president of the GSU chapter, former chapter advisor of 5-8 college chapters, and wrote as a national contributing writer. Her dream job/career is to become a top writer, editor, blogger.