you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

As the price of college tuition continues to increase exponentially, it is becoming more of a financial burden, with less and less value in the job market.

The average student loan debt in America as of 2018 is 1.5 trillion. Per graduate, that comes to about 37,000 in student loan debt before one

Big name companies like Nordstrom, Google, Apple, IBM, and Bank of America plan to provide some relief. These companies, along with many others,  will be dropping college degree requirements for certain jobs in the business.

In 2014, former chairman and head of hiring at Google, Laszlo Bock,  said, “When you look at people who don’t go to school and make their way in the world, those are exceptional human beings. And we should do everything we can to find those people.”

Vocational 2-year schools and alternative education (courses, bootcamps, workshops, personal experience) are increasing in popularity among top employers as it shows a distinctive tenacity and adaptability that these companies value most.

A major reason for this increased leniency in employment is because there is currently a major demand for employees in the workforce. The world is changing so rapidly that the need to keep up and adapt has never been greater.

This, however, does not mean that there is no value in higher education. It is just important to focus on building a strong skill stack rather than just expertise on one subject in order to keep up with our fast paced world. College actually may expose you to more opportunities, but it’s self determination that sets you apart from the rest.

The most impressive qualities on a job application today include internships, courses, and workshops in specific skills as well as the determination to develop one’s own talents and skills regardless of economic or social status.

College degrees are getting out of style. Self-determination and a strong, versatile skill set is the new black.

Georgia State University c/o 2021
The GSU chapter of Her Campus