Nice For What: A Summer Banger and A Message

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Drake knew what was up this past weekend! After releasing his single, “Nice For What” he gave us a music video accompanied starring some badass celebrity women in the industry. This song came just in time as the weather is finally warming up, graduation is approaching, and Rihanna just dropped her new Fenty Beauty Body Lava; so you know us women are about to be feeling ourselves, as we rightfully should.

Nice For What is the perfect feel-good song that is a shout out to the woman who’s about her hustle, making moves, and stuntin’ on everyone while doing so cohesively. It is just what we needed in a music industry that is diluted with songs that demean us and associate our worth with big our ass*s or what sexual acts we can perform for a guy. It was like a breath of fresh-air to see and hear that the most prominent songs out right now are about women being the sh*t. From Cardi B’s “Invasion of Privacy” to this summer bop that will hopefully start the trend of male rappers uplifting women in their songs. Nice for What also reminds us that, we are so outstanding and know how to make things happen on our own and that if we don’t want to, have to smile. We don’t have to back down, we don’t have to make men feel comfortable nor do we feel like they always have to take care of us. This song is a musical representation of  “move boy, I got this.”

Since the song has come out, it has been on repeat in my car, blasting through my headphones, and out of my speaker at home. After two days, I’ve realized that this song is appropriate for numerous occasions, in private or in public, that will take whatever mood you’re currently in, and remind you that you are the bomb and no one can take that from you. It’s the perfect song for when you are:

1. Getting Ready

2. Sitting In Traffic After A Long Day

3. Walking Through Campus, Around The City, Through The Store….

4. Working Out

5. Getting Through A Breakdown

7. Right Before You Go To Bed

8. And let’s not forget the NOLA Bounce vibes are perfect for a mid-day twerk session

So if you need a little pick me up, just go to Apple Music or Spotify, and blast the song…

I’m pretty sure people around you will appreciate it as much.

I am junior at Georgia State University, majoring in Journalism with a concentration in Public Relations and a minoring in Marketing. I hold executive positions in two organizations on campus: Director of Public Relations for EmpowHER and Vice President of Her Campus Georgia State Chapter Outside of school, I am Director of Public Relations/Marketing of AREA, Atlanta's Resource for Entertainment and Arts; along with being a part of the professional performing ensemble at AREA. In my free time, I write for my lifestyle blog, As Told By Tay.