Wellness

Netflix Shows That Talk About Real World Problems

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Spoiler alert. Since 2013, Netflix has been creating original content in areas like movies, shows and reality shows. As they’ve progressed over the years, their content has grown dramatically. One of those ways is that it gives its views a look inside of what people might be going through. Here are a few shows that show you different perspectives on people. 

1. 13 Reasons Why 

Source

In each episode, there is a warning to viewers about graphic content. Reasons being, from its start in 2017, the show has heavily discussed triggering topics like suicide, rape, and violence. As it moved on to its second season, the show dug deeper into the court case of rape allegations toward the infamous antagonist Bryce Walker. The second season also got a lot of people talking when a male on male sexual assault happened. In its third season, which was released this past August, the show shows how the first two seasons affected the students, leading up to and after the death of Bryce Walker. At the end of each episode, there is a link where you can reach out for help

2. Atypical

Source

In Atypical, the main character, Sam, 8, has autism and tries to be more independent from his parents. One of those things being dating, which takes him a while to understand. But because he’s leaning away from his parents and doing things more on his own, it makes people misunderstand him because his parents aren’t there to introduce him as their “autistic son.” In season two of the show, Sam’s parents start the process of divorce after realizing Sam was the one thing holding them together. Because of this, Sam goes through turmoils he’s never gone through before. Atypical’s second season will be out this November.  

3.Elite

Source

Elite is the Euphoria for Spanish speakers. The show is based on flashbacks/ flashforwards of an investigation to find out who killed the student, Marina. The show also gives viewers different perspectives of life from each character. Marina, who tries to begin a relationship with Nano while dealing with having HIV. Nano deals with being in and out of prison for selling drugs, the only way he can provide for his family. Nadia, who is a Muslim, faces the backlash of being a Muslim girl where she’s required to take off her hijab. She also deals with having parents that enforce a strict no-dating rule because of their religion. Under the same household, Nadia’s older brother Omar keeps his life under wraps from his family for two reasons. One, because he’s a drug dealer, and two, because he’s in a homosexual relationship with Nadia’s classmate, Ander. 

Netflix, you’ve outdone yourself.

✰ ???????? ✰ ? ✰ ??????✰ ✰??????????✰ ✰ ??????? ????? ??????????✰
The GSU chapter of Her Campus