This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

After watching Korean Dramas for such a long time, I am glad to see the recognition they are now getting. “Squid Game” has become one the highest watched shows on Netflix.

Korean Dramas are so different from American shows. It is more emotional, has better visuals, better quality production and more cliffhangers. The actors and actresses also can tug at your heartstrings more. “Squid Game” has shown to have all of these key aspects.

“Squid Game” has shown how every character, even the villains, contributes to the show’s conclusion. The show tackles many themes, such as the disparity between the poor and rich. The show’s game participants fight one another to win the prize money and run away from the debt they have been experiencing for years.

The game participants fight one another to death, but they are not the real villains or enemies; the real enemies and villains are the ones who are putting them in the game and watching them for their enjoyment. It also focuses on death and morals as the death of several of the game participants has a significant emotional impact. Some of the characters can move on while others are not able to continue with the loss. It also showed how friends and others could turn their back on you when it’s least expected.

A sequel to the show is very exciting and many of my friends and so do I are looking forward to it. However, it may take a while as the director wants to work with other directors, and the complex story and time to film may take some time.

With the success of “Squid Game”, more Korean Dramas and international shows are shining in the light. This show is entirely different from any other show I have watched, with it making you sit at the edge of your seat and pulling at your heartstrings. If you haven’t watched it yet, go to Netflix right now and get ready for a whirlwind journey!

Raidah is currently a senior at Georgia State University. She is currently majoring in Biology with an interest to go into the healthcare field. Some of her hobbies include traveling, meeting new people, and photography! She hopes to write you interesting articles for Her Campus!