Career

Moving Into a Different City After College? Things to Consider

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

As the spring semester is coming to an end, one of the biggest challenges that graduates face is approaching. That is, making the difficult choice to move away from friends and family to pursue their careers.

Some students have gone through similar experiences when they moved away for college, however most fear the thought of “adulting” without their parents and friends nearby. 

Change is the process to make or become different, defined by a circumstance within your life. Regardless of the situation, change is almost always scary when dealing with the unknown. When following your career path it’s important to know you’re making the right decision. 

Change neon light signage
Unsplash

Here are a few things I believe you should consider if you’re hesitant about moving into a new city:

1. Do the research.

First, do your research and figure out what city is best for you and your career. It’s easy to say you want to be a farmer in the middle of New York City, but it’s not realistic. 

As you’re researching, you will begin to understand what likes and dislikes of living in a new city. Taking the moment to understand will help you navigate if the new city is a good choice.

2. Start by altering your perspective. 

Second, when moving away, think of it as making an investment in guaranteed positive growth. Breaking out of your comfort zone is challenging, but when you do, it can lead you into places that would be beneficial in the long run.

According to Forbes, by taking chances you become more successful and make more money. As you expand, the mental barriers that once stopped you from achieving your goals will diminish.

stack of money
pixabay

3. Create a family of supporters.

Third, Leaving family and friends behind to pursue a new career is difficult. However, these individuals play a role as accountability partners and assist with keeping you on track. Most importantly they’re aware of your goals and offer words of encouragement when you feel like giving up. 

4. Don’t think about the “what ifs”.

Fourth, don’t go through life thinking “what if” about your career goals. It sounds cliche, but follow your heart, and don’t regret it. Much like people, situations change and you don’t want to give up on your career goals because of fear. 

Even if it doesn’t work out the way you intended, you will leave with more knowledge than with what you started. Ultimately, you won’t ever know if you don’t try.

With graduation around the corner for most college students, there’s a surplus of worry about how life will be once this spring semester ends. Due to unfortunate circumstances many students’ plans of walking across the stage in May have been postponed. The thought of not being able to share this amazing moment with loved ones will forever permeate our minds of what “could’ve been”. 

airplane view
Photo by Ross Parmly on Unsplash

Don’t waste your time on things that you have no control over. Rather, take a risk and jump into the unknown of beginning your career in a different city. 

In the words of Nikki Giovanni, “Everything will change. The only question is growing up or decaying.”

Naomi Johnson is an Atlanta native fashion stylist, sketch artist, designer, and image consultant. Known for her incredible eye for fashion and audacious attitude, her versatility brings her a diverse range of editorial and entertainment clients. Naomi began her career studying at Bauder College where she received a degree in Fashion Merchandising. Relentless about her education, she is currently pursuing a Public Relations degree at Georgia State University.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus