Meet the Homecoming Candidates: Temitope Ibisanmi

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Name: Temitope Ibisanmi

Graduation Date: May 2018

Area of Study: Health Informatics

Homecoming Court Candidacy: Mr. GSU          

What or who encouraged you to run for homecoming court?

I wanted to know the feeling that you get as you put your all into a campaign and watch students eyes light up as you wow them with various campaign ideas, the feeling you get when you make a new connection with someone at the block party that ultimately turns into an experience that you’ll never forget, the feeling you get looking out into the crowds of people during the homecoming parade as you wear your smile and have the proud opportunity of serving your university. I’ve had the blessing of being able to serve Georgia State University in many ways through leadership, community service, and activism. In many ways I believe that being on the Homecoming Royal Court will allow me to wrap all of those entities into one and display myself to the best of my ability for the university to see.

Why this particular title, what makes it special?

Mr. GSU is the big bang, it’s the one of the most honorable titles one can hold at Georgia State University. It is the epitome of Service, Involvement, and Leadership on this campus and it would be an honor to know that I have reached a level so highly regarded here at Georgia State University.

On this potential platform (alongside the others you may hold) what do you want to address or bring more attention to? 

Dreamers, figuratively as well as technically speaking. What is currently going on in this country can no longer be swept under the rug or forgotten when the next big disaster or bad policy comes along. People need to realize that we are all the same. Regardless of our race, color, and ethnicity we are all dreamers in one way or another. Manifest Destiny is a right of all human beings here on earth to expand and look for a better life for our future generations. The world seems as if it’s starting to be devoid of the love that it once had but we can’t let the hate allow us to stay silent when our neighbors, teachers, and fellow classmates are being targeted for no reason more than where they were born. We must be the shining light for one another when it seems like there’s only chaos.

What is something that you want the student body at GSU to know about you? 

I’m currently an on-campus DJ and I’m interested in Dj’n for all type of orgs. I love experimenting with different types of music and sounds.

What impact do you want to leave at Georgia State University? 

The impact that I’ve been trying the hardest to leave behind is the idea of “togetherness” within our community. We need to always look out for one another and continue to pass on opportunities to keep the growth within Georgia State University as well as our community growing.  

*speed round*

6. What is your favorite food? – Wings & Fries

7. Best movie you have seen in the last year? – The Accountant

8. Who is your best friend? – Tyrone Mcduffie

9. Greatest memory at GSU? – Spotlight Record Breaking Panther Prowl in Fall 2015

10. One item you could have with you if you were stuck on an island? – My Bible

**All images courtesy of Temitope Ibisanmi**

Cydney Maria (Rhines) is a creative writer, journalist and photographer located in Atlanta, Ga. She is currently a student at Georgia State University studying journalism and english. She coins her brand as something curated beautifully for those who may not feel that beauty. Her main focus is mental health, social issues, digital design and of course the beauty of black girl magic. Her main goal is to constantly write creative content that fills a need. She is currently published accross multiple platforms and looks to continue her current level of work after she graduates from GSU. Check this creative out!
The GSU chapter of Her Campus