Let’s Talk About (Safe) Sex, Baby

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

In recent years, Atlanta has been named one of the top 5 cities in the United States with high rates of HIV infections. HIV is a virus infection that can be passed on from one person to another through fluid contact, especially sexual intercourse. When you are young and ready to explore the world and have lost the “boys have cooties” ideology, you are not necessarily planning on getting an STD or becoming a young mom. Whether you engage with one partner or multiple partners, it’s always crucial to remember to use contraceptives or birth control. 

We all remember the commercials about abstinence where they thrived for us to live in a “No sex is safe sex” world, but unless you plan on joining a Nunnery, there is no reason you should abstain yourself from sex. If it is the right time for you or it is something you enjoy engaging in without any remorse, then it is only best to always lookout for yourself. Like many things in life, sex is one of those good things in life that come with consequences. Remember being in Sex Ed in High School where they showed videos explaining the baggage that comes with sex? That information was so long ago that the message is not as powerful to us as it was 5 years ago. Becoming sexually active is one of the most important decisions you will have to make in your lifetime, and if you are not fully prepared, life is sure to hit you harder than a truck going 200 miles an hour.

Sex has become such a casual thing among students that being safe seems so frivolous to some ever since the term “raw” came into the picture, and protecting yourself and being smart was thrown out the window. Although both parties are responsible for the health of each other, if your partner does not show any motion of using protection, it is always best you carry a condom with you at all times so you are prepared. As much as we would like to see it happen, an eager young fellow who has not fully reached puberty is less likely to take the initiative to use protection.  We’ve all seen how immature the guys can be on Teen Mom, I’m sure that is not how you envisioned the father of your baby would be like. Even if your relationship continues to grow with a guy, you must always remember how young we are and that “love” is really fickle in these young stages, so you have to continue to always use protection. I’ve had a few of my friends get caught in this kind of situation, where they thought the guy was completely devoted to them, but a tiny little test result changed everything.

The same way you care for your closet should be the same way you should care about your lady parts. Get tested at least twice a year and in between those times, remember to always take care of your garden and don’t wear super tight pants because yeast infections are real. 

Zimbabwean-American Journalism major at Georgia State University. Audrey Hepburn and pink enthusiast who's constantly dreaming of Breakfast at Bergdorfs. She lives in Atlanta with New York on her mind.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus