architecture building business cinema 436413?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
architecture building business cinema 436413?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Felicity Warner / HCM
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

There’s always something to look forward to whenever a new year rolls around, especially new movies! Maybe it’s a long-awaited sequel coming out, or a film illustrating a book you just read. Whatever the case may be, here are a variety of movies coming to a theater near you in 2020.

The Photograph:

Official release date: February 14, 2020

This film starring Issa Rae and Lakeith Stanfield takes you through an investigation of a recently deceased photographer who also happens to play as Issa’s mother. During her search for answers, Issa’s character, Mae, is swept off of her feet by Lakeith’s character, Michael. How will their relationship and the mystery of her mother’s life unfold? Click here to see the trailer.

Fantasy Island: 

For those who seek thrills, horror, and mystery, “Fantasy Island” is the place to go! A mysterious Mr. Roarke makes the dreams of several “lucky” guests come true on a remote island. These dreams, however, come with a dark twist… Click here to see the trailer.

birds eye view of island
Photo by Symeon Ekizoglou from Pexels

Brahms: The Boy II:

Official release date: February 21, 2020

Oh boy, here we go again! This sequel to “The Boy” (2016) features a family of a husband, wife, and their young son, Jude. When strange behaviors start to arise from Jude, the family is advised to “find a place where he feels safe”. (Brahms: The Boy II) Shortly after they arrive at their supposed safe haven, Jude comes in contact with Brahms, and it all goes downhill from there. Click here to see the trailer.

The Invisible Man:

Official release date: February 28, 2020

This film is based on H.G Wells’s novel, “The Invisible Man” (1897). Here, we follow Cecilia – a character played by Elisabeth Moss, and her lover Adrian, played by Oliver Jackson-Cohen. After she narrowly escapes her abusive relationship with him, he takes his own life. With Adrian gone, she tries to make a new life for herself, but someone keeps terrorizing her. It couldn’t possibly be Adrian because he’s dead… or is he? Click here to see the trailer.

Onward:

Official release date: March 6, 2020

“Onward” is the tale of two brothers searching for the magic that will help them complete a very important spell. What makes this spell so important is it allows them to see their late father for a day, but they only have 24 hours to find the magic or the spell won’t work. Can they do it in time? Click here to see the trailer.

A Quiet Place: Part Two:

Official release date: March 20, 2020

Bird Box for your ears anyone? In this sequel to “A Quiet Place” (2018), the Abbott family’s plight continues. As mysterious creatures persistently hunt anything that makes a sound, the widowed Evelyn and her children must find the means to survive. Along their journey, they encounter a creature and some very interesting strangers. Click here to see the trailer.

Felicity Warner / HCM

No Time to Die

Official release date: April 10, 2020

James Bond is on the move again in this action-packed adventure! The “007” series that has been in production since 1962 brings a new mystery to the screen as a scientist has been kidnaped and a mysterious villain with dangerous technology is afoot! Who else to track them down than “Agent 007” himself. Click here to see the trailer.

The films featured in this bunch are bound to make you laugh, cry, and punch the air. Hold on to your popcorn because there may be some jump scares too! And if you’re dedicated to a particular genre, why not try something new. You’ll never know how much you would have enjoyed a movie if you never watched it. It only takes 90 minutes (give or take) to fall in love or save the world. So, relax and enjoy the movies!

Sophomore, Georgia State University. Major: Studio Art
The GSU chapter of Her Campus