The Kids are More Than Alright: Chloe x Halle Drop Their Debut Album

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

If you don’t get it, then it probably wasn’t meant for you to understand and before they were Queen Bey’s protege’s, they had a massive following on YouTube, so please believe the hype and get into this duo. The super talented Grown-ish stars, Chloe and Halle Bailey have finally dropped their debut album after a host of teasers and mix tapes that did not disappoint. I mean seriously, how could you not double tap on that album cover? Their impressive vocals left many stunned and several intrigued including the Queen of music herself, Beyonce. However, this was not the duo’s first encounter with Beyonce as Chloe portrayed Beyonce’s younger character in the movie “The Fighting Temptations”. Though her stint was brief in the film, things just have a way of coming full circle when the time is right, and clearly 2018 is their year. From Being featured in one of the music videos for Beyonce’s “Lemonade” to securing reoccurring roles on “Grown-ish”, it is safe to say that their future is coming to slay.

Source

Earlier this week, “The Kids are Alright” hit streaming music services and store shelves everywhere. The highly anticipated album featured artists such as GoldLink, Joey Bada$$ and Kari Faux. The overall vibe of this album is very carefree but upbeat, the use of instruments and their voices of course, make for smooth sailing from the 18 track gem. In the track list, they even included their single “Drop” from their EP, “Sugar Symphony” on the album which is one of my personal favorites. A few social media favorites are of course “Grown” from the show Grown-ish, “Everywhere”, “Happy Without Me” and “Hi Lo” which features GoldLink.

Overall, what does the album say about the duo?

Source

This album says a few things, including that this is an album for the kids everywhere who may have not actually been alright. If there is one thing about the up and coming generation, it is that they are not afraid to express themselves. Like many of us, they are too facing confusing times that include a harsh political climate, relationships, college and life after young adulting. This album serves as an anthem for the kids in their generation who are now turning into adults, which in return now tells us that the kids are truly alright….or atleast, they will be sometime soon.

One things that is also apparent is that they have officially grown up. Gone are the days of Chloe and Halle sitting in their living room, playing their keyboard and guitar, covering Rihanna’s “Diamonds” or Beyonce’s “Countdown”. These sisters have officially grown up and found their sound, which in return compliments their song titles and album title flawlessly. Overall, we are pretty sure that there were so many “finally, it happened” moments when they announced the arrival of their album and honestly, it is worth all of the hype and more.  

Source

If you have not listened to their album, what are you waiting on?

Cydney Maria (Rhines) is a creative writer, journalist and photographer located in Atlanta, Ga. She is currently a student at Georgia State University studying journalism and english. She coins her brand as something curated beautifully for those who may not feel that beauty. Her main focus is mental health, social issues, digital design and of course the beauty of black girl magic. Her main goal is to constantly write creative content that fills a need. She is currently published accross multiple platforms and looks to continue her current level of work after she graduates from GSU. Check this creative out!