This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Name: Julien Virgin

Hometown: Atlanta, GA

Classification: Senior

Major: Journalism and Sociology

web: soundcloud.com/virgin_sounds

You may have seen this week’s campus celebrity riding his bike around campus, or may have heard him on our very own radio station, Album 88.5. Julien Virgin hosts The Wave on WRAS Saturday nights, spreading wavy words of wisdom.

Before he came to WRAS, Julien listened to Album 88.5 in highschool, but it took some time and growth before he got his own two hour show. When he finally decided to get serious about radio, he knew he had to be doing his own thing.

Her Campus: What do you do at WRAS?Julien Virgin: “I host a radio show called The Wave every saturday night from 8-10 p.m. here and only here at Album 88.5, Georgia State Univeristy’s 100,000 wat radio station. When I say 100,000 watt, I mean it’s the same frequency at v103. You can hear us like you can hear them.”

HC: What is The Wave?

JV: “It’s a wave of positivity. When I was pitching the show last semester, I wanted something different. I’m so used to going out to parties and hearing the same old shit: Future, Migos, F this Bitch, I get this money, I sell  this drug. I dont do that and as a sociology major I realize what that music does to people [my] age. So I really wanted to provide some music with a different message behind it.”

HC: Do you listen to artists like Future and Young Thug?

JV: “I only listen to that when I’m around a certain crowd but when I’m by myself I’m not playing that. I’m on soundcloud im listening to

philosophy of WRAS trying to get the unknown known. I’ve found myself listening to less and less of that music.”

HC: What has been your best experiencesas a radio personality?

JV: “I have had the mosty humbling experiences. Around week four or five into my show and this girl called in and she said ‘I love you’ Julien you just changed my whole attitude about today and through your wavy words of wisdom andyour playlist you just. Thats when I knew this was bigger than just me and my music. People are actually listening to what I have to say. Another guy called recently and said ‘I really try to apply your wavy words of wisdom daily.’ I’m a 21-year-old college student going through the notions and for some grown ass man to call here to the station and say he’s applying what I’m saying to his life truly humbles me.”

HC: Who are your favorite artists to feature?

JV: “One label it’s called Soulection. The first time I heard them it shook me deep to my core. Sango is one of the dopest producers in the game. He remixes and makes the waviest beats ever. A lot of these artists wil take an old songs and sample it and put a totally different spin on it. It’s something that is familiar but it is an unfamiliar sound. They call it the sound of tomorrow.”

HC: Where do you see your furture in radio?

JV: “Last week was my fifteenth show. It’s more than me just doing a show now. This is something I’m passionate about. I enjoy coming to the production room editing music, I enjoy going in the station to holla at the people who work here. Saturday nights are the highlight of my week. I’m hoping that in the future I can land a job like this, but as long as I can leave my mark here, I’m good.

The GSU chapter of Her Campus