This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Name: Jared Oliver

Classification: Junior

Major: Journalism

Hometown: Douglasville, GA

Instagram: @jaredoliver.tv

Her Campus: What made you chose GSU?

Jared Oliver: “Well, originally I wanted to go to UGA but I didn’t get in. So I basically made a last minute decision to go to Georgia State and it turned out to be the best decision I could’ve made.”

HC: What are you involved in on campus

Jared:“I’m a Sports writer for The Signal. I did sports radio over the summer and I’ll be returning [to radio] in a few weeks. I also do a Sports show called Primetime Sports. Basically anything that has to do with sports, I do it.”

HC: What is it about sports that you like?

JO:”I love sports because it’s one of the few things I am very passionate about and I know a lot about. I’m not really good at math and I don’t like science. I used to play sports in high school  but I couldn’t play at the next level so I had to figure out how I could stay around it. And I thought ‘maybe I could be a sports reporter.’’

HC:What sports reporters influence you?

JO: “Stephen A Smith. His success and resume is untouchable. He has broken so many stories. Michael Wilbon too. I shadowed DeMarco Morgan over the summer. He was the first African American to be hired by NBC Affiliate in New York City. Terrance Moore and Sam Crenshaw.”

HC: You’re involved in a lot. How do you balance your work and classes?

JO:“Honestly, I don’t balance it well. I honestly think the work I do is more important than my classes. In this industry you need experience. You need to know how to talk to people and how to report and tell a story. Class is important but I don’t really put it first.”

HC:What have been your favorite experiences while working?

JO:“I did some freelance work with ESPN over the summer. I covered this basketball league called The Tournament. It lasted the whole month of June. I got to interview a lot of cool people. I met every Kansas Jayhawk who were my favorite players. I’m a big Jayhawk fan. I got paid to do what I love. I was at 11 Alive over the summer and I’m in the process of being interviewed by CNN over the summer. Those three are the coolest things I’ve experienced so far.”

HC:Where do you see yourself in the next five years?

JO:I will be in Cali New York Texas or Chicago working in one of those high sports markets.

HC: You write. You’ve done radio and broadcast work. Which do you want to do?

JO: “My goal is to do all three as long as I can. My goal is to have my own sports show I want to be a columnist and I also want to be a sports anchor. My goal is to do all of that with ESPN. I do it all to make myself more marketable. If you can do a lot of things someone is going to hire you for that.

HC: Well, you have a ton of experience and a lot on your plate. What advice do you have for aspiring journalist?

JO: Don’t be afraid to start. I think that’s the hardest part. People are afraid to get in front of the camera, afraid to talk but honestly, you have to outwork everyone. Practice your technique and outwork everybody. Especially as an African American. In the corporate world you want to have something that sets you apart from everyone else.

HC: What would you say sets you apart from everyone else?

JO:“My will to accomplish my goals and my grind.The biggest asset I have is work ethic since I was little thanks to my dad.

HC:How do you keep up with the world of sports?

JO:It’s been hard lately for me to keep up with professional sports because of how heavily involved I am with all the sports going on here. Really I just have my apps. I keep up with International sports. I’ve got college sports down though. Moral of the story: It’s hard.

HC: What apps help you the most?

JO:ESPN, Bleacher Report, CNN, Sky Sports. Bleacher Report is sarcastic and they have really good information.

HC:Where do you see Georgia State’s basketball team this season?

JO:“I think it will be very similar to last season. Of course we don’t have players who were nationally ranked coming out  of high  school besides Kevin [Ware]. I don’t really think Kevin can carry the team though. He’s not that type of player. I do think we’ll win the Sunbelt But once we get out the Sunbelt it’s fair game.”

The GSU chapter of Her Campus