This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Jaden Christopher Syre Smith – who is most known for his role in the 2010 version of Karate Kid and of course being the son of Will and Jada Pinket Smith – has been in the entertainment industry since the age of six. Now at the age of 22 years old, he’s taken a break from being on movie sets to focus and make a positive impact on the community around him. Here’s what he’s been up to.

1. His Record Label, MSFTSrep

With the help of his younger sister Willow, the two were able to join forces with ROC NATION and create a separate label for inspiring experimental artists. MSFTS Republic, also known as MSFTSrep is a collective of artists that includes individuals such as Jaden, Willow, ¿Téo?,  Harry Hudson, Tyler Cole, dylAn, and others. Together, the collective fosters a platform for expression and individualism through music, art, photography, film, and fashion. 

2. JUST Water

At the age of ten, Jaden was horrified by the amount of plastic waste found in the ocean while he tried to surf. Knowing that the build-up and production of plastic lead to higher carbon emission, he soon birthed the idea of JUST water. “In order to further reduce the level of greenhouse gas emissions throughout our production, we converted the plastic in the JUST water bottle to plastic derived from plants. The JUST water bottle is now made from 82% renewable resources – materials that grow back,” said Just Goods Inc

Original Illustration Designed in Canva for Her Campus Media
3. The Creation of the Water Box

Jaden’s work of creating sustainable water options doesn’t just stop at JUST water. In April 2014, Flint, Michigan announced a state of emergency as the entire city’s water source had been contaminated with high levels of lead corrosion. Having to rely on packages of bottled water to cook, clean, and shower left Flint residents desperate for an immediate fix from the state. Co-founders Jaden and Drew Fitzgerald collaborated to create the Water Box to help citizens in Flint. The product is designed to take gallons of the contaminated water and have it run through its filtration system to provide individuals with clean usable drinking water. As of 2020, Flint is still struggling to fix its water system and remove the build-up of lead and other corrosive materials. In October, Jaden and his team were able to provide their fourth water box to the LatinX community in Flint. 

4. ILOVEYOU Food Truck

In July of 2019, Jaden announced via Instagram the launch of his pop up vegan food truck called I Love You Restaurant. Their mission is to provide healthier food options to individuals in low-income communities. With the help of other artists such as Asap Rocky, Jaden was able to make the food truck’s first appearance in Harlem. 

Woman holding \"Save Our Future\" sign
Photo by Markus Spiske from Unsplash

5. Activism and politics 

Giving back to the community has always been a top priority for Jaden, but helping those communities takes more than just creative ideas from him and his team. Jaden has been actively participating in peaceful protests – like the one held for Breonna Taylor at the Kentucky State Capitol – and emphasizing the importance of youth voter turnout for the upcoming election. With efforts to create social, racial, and political change, Jaden created a Snapchat original series called “The Solution Committee” which features inspiring young people like activist Marley Davis, actor Yara Shahidi, and activist Winter Breeanee. Together they touch on topics such as first time voting, social injustice among minorities, and youth voting power. 

In his debut single, “Icon” off his first studio recorded album, Syre, Jaden states. “I am just an icon living. Start a record label, MSFTS just did it. Interview cover five minutes. We are too hot in the business. I’m going straight to the top with the crew.” By taking a look at his last few projects, we definitely can understand why he deserves all the hype and more. 

Georgia State University
The GSU chapter of Her Campus