This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Disclaimer and Trigger Warning: Events and videos mentioned and linked in this article may be triggering to some readers/viewers. This content is potentially disturbing to some readers. Please proceed with caution

TW: TRAUMATIC DEATH, EMOTIONAL DISTRESS

On Friday, November 5, around 9 p.m., all hell broke loose at the 2021 Astroworld Festival.

What was supposed to be a fun and memorable experience for concertgoers became a traumatic event that will forever be tattooed in their mind. 

A restless crowd of 50,000 people rushed the stage Travis Scott was performing on, leading to at least ten deaths and many more injuries. Although an investigation is still underway, people who attended the concert, and lived, say people were crushed to death. 

This horrific event opens up a much-needed conversation about music festivals and the dangers they can cause.

What you can do for yourself:

As someone who has attended over five music festivals, I can assure you safety is not a priority. Above all else, you must look out for yourself. There are thousands of people in one place, and essentially, you are just another body in the crowd to security. One of the first things I do when I arrive at a music festival is make an escape plan. But, as we have seen with the Astroworld Festival tragedy, there is just no guarantee you will be able to make it out. However, having one in place is wise and could save your life. 

Now, I’m not naive to what goes on at music festivals. There are hard drugs and alcohol just about everywhere you look. I’m not saying don’t have a great time and have a drink or two, but you need to be aware of yourself. If a dangerous situation arises, like the one at the Astroworld Festival, and you are under the influence of illegal drugs and alcohol, you are putting yourself at a tremendous risk of death or serious injury. Enjoy your time at the festival, but don’t overdo it. 

Along with keeping yourself accountable, always bring someone with you to the festival. Never, and I mean NEVER, go to a festival alone. Bring a friend you trust and protect each other if hazards arise.

WHAT FESTIVAL ORGANIZERS NEED TO DO TO ENSURE SAFETY:

As for safety protocols that could be put in place by the festival organizers and security, I have a laundry list of ideas. But, I will provide you with my main thoughts. 

The Astroworld Festival website explained there would be medical personnel on-site, but as recent videos from the event show, it was almost impossible for them to get to the struggling concert attendees before it was too late. 

The website safety section reads: “IF YOU NEED MEDICAL ASSISTANCE, CONTACT THE NEAREST SECURITY OFFICIAL, STAFF MEMBER, AMBASSADOR, OR MEDICAL STAFF, OR GO TO ONE OF THE ON-SITE MEDICAL TENTS.” Unfortunately, videos have surfaced of attendees begging for help from staff members and being told to get off the stage. 

We NEED to be able to trust the people responsible for our safety at music festivals. One of the main issues at Astroworld was the permitting of people without tickets. Security should not allow anyone, under any circumstance, to enter the festival without a valid ticket. Too many people lead to tragedies like the one that took place at Astroworld. There was not enough space, leading to festivalgoers not being able to breathe and forcing some into cardiac arrest.

Similarly, there should be designated medical assistance throughout the crowd. Medical tents with fences blocking the perimeter should not only be on the outskirts of the crowd but within the crowd in case of an emergency. This could save someone’s life.

The Astroworld Festival tragedy should be a blueprint of “what not to do” for music festivals to come. This event has shaken the nation and will go down in history as one of the deadliest music festivals of all time. There is so much more to be done, and we must demand change for future music festivals. 

To donate to those impacted by the Astroworld Festival catastrophe, please click the link here: https://www.gofundme.com/c/act/astroworld-festival-fundraisers

Autumn Boekeloo is an aspiring entertainment journalist living in Atlanta, GA. She is a senior at Georgia State University majoring in Multimedia Journalism and minoring in Women's Gender and Sexuality Studies. The 21 year old will be graduating in December 2021 with a B.A. and several academic awards. Autumn has written for print and online newspapers at Georgia State. She enjoys writing articles about lifestyle, festivals and all things Atlanta. She hopes to work for a magazine one day while pursuing her own blog.