Career > Her20s

It’s Grad Season! 2018 Honorable Mention

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

It’s that time of year again GSU! It’s grad season! The time has come for some of us to say our good bye’s, the begin new strides and honestly, to walk right into adulthood with the best tools that we have given ourselves in our undergrad years. But, enough of the sappy stuff, it’s time to celebrate! We opened our emails and you all definitely came through to be apart of this Her Campus GSU tradition. Not only did you all share you accomplishments but you made sure to show your best graduation and college photos to showcase those personalities and degrees. So without anymore time to waste, here are our grad season honorable mentions for Georgia State University’s spring class of 2018. Way to go graduates, you have done so well!

Joya Davies

Campus Involvement:

Resident Assistant (August 2016-February 2018)

Student Assistant (August 2015-August 2017)

Zeta Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Incorporated, Vice President (Summer2017- 

Present)

Director of Programming for College Curls (Fall2016-Spring2017)

Student Government Association, Robinson College of Business Senator

(Fall2016-Spring2017

Black Sophomore Society, Director of Membership (Fall2015-Spring2016)

Quiet Storm Steppers, Step and Event Coordinator (Fall2015-Spring2016)

College Girls Rock, Director of Scholarship (Fall2014-Spring2015)

Community Involvement:

Joya was involved with the Lanette L, Suttles Childhood Development Center, Pampering The Community, Kindezi West (college fair for the students), Dancing With The Greeks- Black Sophomore Society, C.L.A.W.S., Georgia State University Housing, Safehouse Outreach, Books of Africa, Panther Leap, Aids Walk

Degree Information: BBA-Bachelor of Business Admin. in Marketing

Advice to my freshmen self: “Stay true to your beliefs and to who you are. Do not be afraid to make mistakes but allow them to help you grow and shape you in to the person you wish to be. Laugh at least twice a day and live YOUR life the way YOU want to live..lastly, everything will work out just trust the process.

Congrats Joya, your work, dedication and talent has taken you far and will take you even further!

Stacey Jones  Degree Information: B.S. in Chemistry, Biochemistry Concentration with Distinction  Honors: Cum Laude 

Campus Involvement:  Secretary of Model African Union (2017 – 2018) Teaching Assistant for General Chem. II (2017-2018) Biochemistry Undergraduate Research Assistant (2016-2018)  Initiatives for Maximizing Student Development (IMSD) Scholar (2017 – 2018)

Community Involvement:  Books For Africa Volunteer 

Advice to freshman self: “Seize the day. Take advantage of all the opportunities that are offered through the university.

Postgrad plan: Attending University of Chicago PREP Program

Congrats Stacey, we wish you nothing but the best!

Kayla D. Meeks

Campus Involvement: Kayla was involved with EmpowHER on the executive team, College Girls Rock as a rock member and the Student Health Informatics Association.

Community Involvement: Kayla was also a mentor at Team 3 Sports and Fitness teaching cheer techniques and stunting. 

Degree Information:  Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies in Health Informatics.

Advice to freshmen self: “Remember it’s okay to not be okay and ask for help! Have fun, but stay focused!”

Good job Kayla, you have done such an amazing job! 

Name: India Bridgeforth

Degree Information: B.S. in Psychology, graduating with honors; summa cum laude with 4.04 GPA

Campus Involvement: 

Psi Chi International Honors Society, College Girls Rock, Astronomy Club

Community Involvement: 

In the community India has served her time as a mentor with Big Brother Big Sisters Inc., and Habitat for Humanity.

Advice to your freshman self:

Always be driven by passion and happiness and you will never go wrong. Surround yourself with those who have similar visions as well as those who are already at the destination in which you want to be, drink more water and remember that “what if’s” don’t exist.”

Congrats India, you have such a bright future ahead of you girl!

Assata Hatch

Campus involvement: While studying undergrad Assata was involved with College Curls, The National Council of Negro Women, Inc., Quiet Storm Steppers, Community Hall Council, Panther Leadership Academy Mentor, Softer Touch, Child Development Center student assistant, GSU Panther’s Pantry

Community involvement: The Living Room- Buckhead Church ambassador

Degree Information: Bachelor of Business Administration 

Advice to my freshman self:

(1) Stop playing and do your homework! 

(2) Realize the only opinions that matters is Gods.

Amazing advice Assata and congrats!

Name: Andreyah Alexander

Campus Involvement: While attending GSU, Andreyah served on the Georgia State University Section of National Council of Negro Women, Incorporated’s Executive Board as Historian, as we lead, develop, and advocate for black women, their families and surrounding communities. Andreyah also served with the GSU chapter of Pinky Promise ministry on the welcome team.

Community Involvement: I have a Youtube channel entitled SweetlyDreyah where I curate content to uplift and motivate women through makeup/hair videos while also leading young women all over the world (and men if applicable) to Christ within today’s society. 

Freshman Advice: Don’t be scared to try. Often times I passed up on opportunities or didn’t put my best foot forward because I doubted myself from the beginning. Don’t be afraid to try! And also, TRUST THAT GOD WILL SEE YOU THROUGH IT ALL! I’m graduating after constant trials and setbacks, so I am a living testimony! Trust Him, work hard, and the rest should follow!

Degree Information: Robinson College of Business, B.S. in Managerial Sciences with concentration in HR

Congrats beautiful girl, we see your light shining through! Best wishes!

Ashley Olivia Brooks 

Degree Information: BS in Respiratory Therapy 

Campus Involvement: 

Founding President of Sisters Helping Each other (SHE)

Vice President of the Respiratory Therapy Club 

Fall 2017 Initiate of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. 

Community Involvement: While in undergrad, Ashley served at Grady memorial hospital volunteer and Children’s healthcare of Atlanta employee

Advice: Attract what you want by being what you want.” 

Congrats Ashley, you are amazing all around!

Tiara Danielle Chambliss

Degree Information: B.S. in Political Science.

Campus Involvement:

Secretary and President of the National Council of Negro Women, Inc. during my three years in the organization.

GSU Model United Nation Team since 2015, traveling to New York and Canada.

Community Involvement: While pursuing her undergraduate degree, Tiara was highly involved as the Assistant Recording Secretary and the Co-Chair for NCNW Day at the Capitol for the State of Georgia National Council of Negro Women, Inc., legislative Intern for the Georgia Legislative Black Caucus for two years, working for Representative Vernon Jones and Representative Renitta Shannon. and eventually became a Collegiate member of Ignite College Council for the Atlanta area.

Advice to My Freshman Self: “Be anxious for nothing, and always look to God first. Never doubt yourself, God has given you everything you need to be successful. Procrastination is not a tool for success, so leave it at home.

Congrats Tiara, you are the leader so many of us aspire to be, keep it up!

Jayne Chukwudinma

Degree Information: B.S. in Political Science

Campus Involvement: Black Sophomore Society, African Students  Association, Panther Connections Chair for Spotlight Programs Board, Fundraising Chair for Pi Chapter for AKPSI, Peer Mentor for Office of Undergraduate Studies, Student Assistant for University Housing.

Congrats Jayne, we know your amazing talents will take you far! Go girl!

Markeela Tyson Degree Information: Bachelors of Business Administration in Accounting. GPA 3.7. Top 15% of my class.

Clubs/Organizations: Delta Sigma Pi – Spring 2015 initiate  Vice President of Financial Operations

National Association of Black Accountants   Vice President of Membership Intake Hands on Atlanta  Junior Mentor counselor  Study Abroad Ambassador

Honors:  Honors college United Negro College Fund Scholar Coca Cola Global Ambassador Scholar Magna Cum Laude

Involvement:  During her undergraduate studies, Markeela was crowned Miss Krimson and Kreme Queen for the Lambda Delta Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi, Fraternity Inc., studied abroad to 4 different countries during her junior year and successfully obtained five internships since coming in her freshman year (included but not limited to Federal Reserve Bank, FDIC, and Georgia Power.

Postgrad plans: Upon graduation, Markeela will be working at Accenture as a Corporate Development and Transaction Analyst in the Fall, but this summer she plans on taking off and traveling the world before work.

Wow, talk about a girl boss! Congrats Markeela, keep setting the standard!

Talore Recupero

Degree Information: Bachelors of Interdisciplinary Studies, Clinical Health Informatics

Campus Involvement: While completing her undergraduate studies Talore was involved in the Student Health Informatics Association as the Chair of Cohort & Alumni Relations 2017-2018.

To the entire Spring class of 2018 at Georgia State University, we want to say congratulations graduates! You did it! Not only did you make the mark, but you made the mark while navigating careers, internships, campus involvement, trials, errors and learning so many lessons throughout the way. From civic organizations to making sure that your GPA was nothing short of amazing you made it happen and in some cases, you made it look easy. While we know it was not always that simple now you can look to the future and continue to change the world!

Source

We are certainly going to miss all of you and what you added to this campus, but we know that you have so much to offer the world and with that being said, go be your best selves, give nothing but the best and continue to be the best…the state way.

**Note, profiles were not uploaded in any specific order and instead was uploaded in receiving order of submission.**

Cydney Maria (Rhines) is a creative writer, journalist and photographer located in Atlanta, Ga. She is currently a student at Georgia State University studying journalism and english. She coins her brand as something curated beautifully for those who may not feel that beauty. Her main focus is mental health, social issues, digital design and of course the beauty of black girl magic. Her main goal is to constantly write creative content that fills a need. She is currently published accross multiple platforms and looks to continue her current level of work after she graduates from GSU. Check this creative out!