Amelia Kramer-Typewriter Vintage Antique Store
Amelia Kramer / Her Campus

Investing in Your Hobbies & Passions During Quarantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

When was the last time you read for fun or picked up a project to work on? In college, there is never a dull moment. We’re all going from class to work and from work to club meetings. By the time you finally finish homework, chores, and prepping for the next day, it’s time to check the morning alarm and go to sleep.

Since the outbreak of COVID-19 in the United States, however, most of us have more free time than usual. You might find yourself confused about how to spend it. Picking up a new hobby or diving back into an old one is always a great idea!

Marco Xu
Marco Xu / Unsplash

Making Time for the Little Things

Currently, many of us are suffering from having a bit too much free time. Carving out a specific time in a planner, calendar, or reminders app is the best way to ensure you have at least a little bit of time every week to indulge in a passion or hobby.

Make it a goal, and manifest it–but don’t make it into a chore! If picking up reading piques your interest, consider putting a simple reminder in your phone to read for 15 to 20 minutes a day, or setting a goal to read a book every month. If you’re the type of person who just can’t sit and be idle, hobbies help occupy your time with something productive, yet enjoyable and self-driven.

woman reading a book on a couch in a library
Via Seven Shooter on Unsplash

Hustle vs Hobby: Why Not Both?

Now more than ever before, people are turning their hobbies and passions into viable means of making some cash on the side, or even full-on streams of income! In particular, lots of young women are putting themselves out there: selling their art, freelance writing and editorial work, selling clothes or cosmetics, and so on. This phenomenon is only trending upwards, and that’s amazing for both consumers and creators alike. 

However, just because some people are making profits from their side hustles, that doesn’t mean regular free hobbies should be put away for good. Along with the monetary gain from side-hustles comes stress from dealing with customers, advertising, and managing money. Keeping up with a hobby on a small scale and having it be for your pleasure exclusively has its own charm. 

Whether you plan on monetizing them or keeping them for your own use, hobbies are a classic way to relieve stress, enrich your mind, and unwind during this pandemic.

I'm an applied linguistics major in my junior year at Georgia State. I love writing & learning new things. Stay curious!
The GSU chapter of Her Campus