This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

When I was younger, I used to dream of being a hero. To have a unique power that I could utilize for the betterment of the world! Whether that be flying, reading minds or even turning invisible. I used to watch Marvel and DC movies in complete and utter awe. As the years passed and I grew wiser, I knew I could never be a hero in the way that the younger version of me has always imagined.

However, I knew I could still do everything in my power to impact the world for the better. The truth is I would never be Wonder Woman in the traditional sense, but I could still uphold similar values and remain inspired by her. So, one thing led to another, and I applied to be a mentor! To date, this is one of my greatest joys and responsibilities. I’m able to change the world by first influencing my mentees in a positive way! 

Warner Bros

If you’ve ever considered mentoring but are hesitant, then this article was made just for you! We all can pass on the wisdom and guidance we possess to save someone from making the same mistakes we did. Personally, I have two mentees, and I’m very fond of the relationship we have developed. I would do absolutely anything to help them succeed, and I’m honored to witness their growth.

If you want to start mentoring locally, I recommend doing some research at your school. There are plenty of organizations that allow you to mentor through them, and all you have to do is apply. I recommend contacting them personally if you would like more details on how you’re paired up. This process could be determined by personality, interests, or maybe just randomly. It never hurts to ask, and I’m sure they would be happy to answer any of your questions. I know local elementary schools are always seeking college students as mentors as well! There are definitely multiple ways for you to pursue mentoring that are available to you. You just have to find what you prefer. 

Warner Bros. Television

The real work begins after you’re paired with your mentee. Developing a relationship with a stranger can be frankly awkward in the beginning. You have to put in the effort to ensure that a solid foundation of trust is being developed so that your mentee knows they can rely on you. This is where you want to set up a time to meet and inquire about their interests so you can complete a bonding activity as well. This could be watching a movie together, completing vision boards, going out to eat or maybe even visiting a museum. Whatever you decide upon, let it be something that’s desirable for both of you. By doing so, you’re enabling each other to connect on a more personal level.

Establishing frequent communication in the early stages of your relationship is also key! Maybe your schedule doesn’t allow you to text all day long, but a quick check-in every day is not difficult. You want to be persistent about this so that your mentee knows you see them as a priority in your life. They may not be very receptive in the beginning, but don’t give up. Have open conversations about how they feel the relationship is developing and listen to what they have to say. Adjust your efforts as needed, and don’t be afraid to let your mentee know exactly how you feel too! There’s no universal language to speak to a mentee, but as you continue developing a bond among one another, you’ll find what works best for you. 

joaquin Phoenix speech
golden globes from giphy

Mentoring may seem to be too much, or you may feel as though you have no guidance to give. However, this is false. We all have some knowledge or wisdom we can bestow on to someone in need. You don’t have to be an expert, and you don’t have to believe that you have all the answers because no one does. We are all simply seeking the opportunity to help. All you truly need is the willingness to develop a long-term relationship, dedication and patience. These will go a long way and work cohesively together. Make sure you’re ready to commit to your mentee and be there for them when they need you to be.

Regina Price is a senior at Georgia State University majoring in neuroscience with a pre-medical concentration. She is the current President of STARS, a mental health organization on campus that works to eliminate the stigma! Regina aspires to be a doctor and leave a positive impact on the world with the aid of science. In her spare time, she loves to give back to the community, spend time with loved ones, and enjoy various forms of art.