This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

We’re halfway through the semester! That means three things; midterm exams, papers, and projects. School can get stressful around this time of the semester, and it’s easy to get overwhelmed, so here are some tips to help you relax and be as successful as possible on exam days.

Stress-free Studying:

When studying before an exam, it’s crucial to focus on the material itself and not so much on memorizing it! Approach it almost as if you are learning it for the first time. Try rewriting notes, going over familiar vocabulary, and other study habits you like. Again, you are learning, not regurgitating information. Come exam day, you will likely have a stronger ability to apply learned concepts and make connections among questions.

Lifestyle-1 Unsplash
Unsplash

Prepare Ahead of Time:

You don’t want to wake up the morning of an exam scrambling around trying to get things together. Worst case scenario, you make it to class on time, but you get to your seat just to realize you left your calculator at home, or you forgot to get a Scantron. Being stressed or anxious could make any person forgetful, so make sure you have everything you need days before the exam in order to prevent any setbacks.

girl lounging relax 3
Kristen Bryant / Her Campus

During the Test:

Upon receiving your test, it might help to power through questions you can answer confidently. You know you know it, so don’t second guess! Finishing those questions early on (which will likely be most of the test) will give you time to focus on questions you are skeptical about. However, don’t miss out on the opportunity to answer other questions. Having the chance to get the right answer is better than no answer at all!

Although it is important to strive for your best possible score, numbers at the end of the day are just numbers. They do not define you! You can still be successful with a not-so-perfect GPA. Ace those tests, finish those papers, and good luck! 

Sophomore, Georgia State University. Major: Studio Art
The GSU chapter of Her Campus