Kayla P Headshot?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Kayla P Headshot?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

How To Achieve The TikTok Soft Girl Look

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Butterflies, sparkles, faux fur and pink. This is the basic essentials of the TikTok soft girl. 

What started off as an underground trend, has quickly shattered the internet and has become very popular beyond the TikTok fashion community. The soft girl aesthetic is becoming super trendy. I’ve got all the tea on how to achieve the look, and it’s cheap!

black iphone tiktok app
Kon Karampelas

I started off doing some research on the trend by visiting the fashion side of TikTok. The app has a massive community of viewers following the latest trends in street wear. A lot of different aesthetics have resulted from this, but my favorite was definitely the early-2000’s soft girl aesthetic. 

Soft girls must possess a few key items for their everyday outfits. One, you need to have a collection of vintage mom jeans. I find a lot of these in the women’s and men’s jeans sections at thrift stores like Goodwill, Park Avenue Thrift, and the Salvation Army. Second, pair the jeans with a mini blouse. A cardigan buttoned only at the top or a lace blouse easily makes the cut. Put on some chunky sneakers or platform shoes and you’ve achieved the basic 2000’s look. 

A picture of clothes on racks at a clothing store
Prudence Earl
If you’re more on the girly side, and you prefer the bourgeois soft girl aesthetic, velvet jumpsuits are totally in for this aesthetic. Wear a jacket with a matching mini skirt or velvet pants. Pair this with a small shoulder bag and your favorite chain necklace. 

Have you noticed that most of the key items in a soft girl’s closet are mini? This is what makes the style unique from any other current aesthetic. Luckily, most of the looks I saw girls wearing on TikTok are easily thrifted. Local thrift stores have a lot of clothes from the early 2000’s. 

To achieve the beauty look, it only takes a few steps. Be very creative with your makeup. Soft girls use pops of color and exaggerate their blush and lip gloss, but pink is your best friend. The goal is to achieve a heavenly angel effect. Soft girls wear a lot of hair accessories like bling hair clips and large colored barrettes. 

Once you’ve achieved the look, try the sticker effect on PicsArt. The biggest trend I noticed within the aesthetic is how uniquely the girls’ photos were edited. Spring is approaching quickly, so it’s the perfect time to spice up your look on a budget! 

Hey! I'm a third-year-student at Georgia State University (Atlanta) studying to receive a bachelor's of interdisciplinary studies in creative media and entrepreneurship. l'm super into street fashion, art, interior decorating, photography, and all things alike. I own an urban clothing line @triple8love. You can catch me on Instagram @butterflydiors. :)
The GSU chapter of Her Campus