This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Summer is over, and we’re four weeks into the school semester. If you aren’t neck deep in your book already, it’s not too late to make your you see an A on your transcript at the end of this semester. Below are a few tips to help you ace this semster:

Photograph by Dan Gold

For Commuters…

The most paramount one liner that all commuters should know and practice: leave early. Try to not leave “on time.” Even though you want to be punctual, l-75 never seems to agree with that sentiment. When you leave without giving yourself any time for mishaps with traffic, parking, etc., you will find yourself stressing over your commute. Leaving early cuts out unwanted stress and frantic driving, getting you to class safely and calmly. In particular, the blue lot parking fills up quickly, so consider this when parking there. 

If You’re Having Roommate Issues…

Roommate issues run rampant in college. Whether it’s on campus or off, strangers or friends, sharing a living space with others will always come with its respective challenges. Some problems are more severe than others, so when it comes to habits that hamper your quality of living, reach out to your roommate directly! It’s wise to consult friends or family for advice on what to say, but complaining to your friends for months won’t solve the problem. 

How & Where to Study

Although you might have started with a light workload in August, don’t let that fool you into thinking classes won’t get harder. Instilling helpful study habits from the get-go will place you on the path to success and keeping you from falling behind. Utilizing a variety of different study methods is useful, since certain classes may call for different study routines. For example, in big lecture classes, group studying in a library room (which you can reserve!) is often beneficial, since there’s whiteboard access and everyone can learn from each other. When it comes to studying solo, a library room can still work, or quaint and quiet spots on campus, such as the upper floors of Langdale (8th is my favorite!), the 5th floor of the library, which is the silent floor, also works well, in addition to the Aderhold Learning Center and College of Law building (which also has a silent floor at the top!).

Photograph by Element5 Digital

Switching Your Major

First, I advise you to NOT shame yourself, or feel embarrassed about changing your major. Considering how much money, time, and labor that goes into your college experience, you deserve to study something enjoyable, that fits you, and will assist you in finding the career you want after graduating! Although switching majors is extremely common, keep in mind that changing your major frequently, or drastically (STEM to Humanities, for example) may set you behind. If you’re a student who’s determined on graduating on time, think carefully about your major change, and utilize on campus resources, such as the Advisement Office or Office of Student Success, or even your professors and older students you trust. Your major is not the pinnacle of your career, as many people in the professional sphere hold jobs that deviate from their undergraduate degree. If you find yourself excited to attend certain classes, you can investigate that and see if there’s a pattern! You’d be surprised to see that there probably is—this can be used as a key to determine your major if you’re undecided.

For Everyone…

Try to navigate this school year to the best of your abilities. Get involved, no activity is insignificant or too small. Stay hydrated, get good sleep, and don’t forget to call home! 

I'm an applied linguistics major in my junior year at Georgia State. I love writing & learning new things. Stay curious!
Sierra Jenkins is currently a student at Georgia State University studying journalism and African American studies. Jenkins aspires to enlighten and inform others through her writing. She believes it is important to have conversations and create dialogue around topics that aren't always discussed publicly. Jenkins strives to break societal barriers through her use of words and set an example for other women from all walks of life.