Honorable Mention!: Notable Spring 2017 Graduates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

It’s grad season again, and we did last year with our Notable Spring 2016 Graduates, we’re highlighting some of Georgia State University’s notable graduates! Check out your favorite panthers to learn more about their accolades, and future endeavors!

Lauren Nicole Smith

Lauren is graduating with her Bachelor’s in English, as a double minor in Sociology and Spanish. In Lauren’s attendance at Georgia State University, she served as the 2016-12017 Vice President of the National Council of Negro Women (Georgia State University Section), the Fall 2016 Co-Social Chair for the Ambitious Chapter of College Girls Rock, a member of the Black Doll Affair, and was a nominee for the Eleanor M. Pratt Scholarship. Her quote is, “Education is for improving the lives of others and for leaving your community and world better than you found it.” – Marian Wright Edelman, Founder & President of The Children’s Defense Fund.

You can keep up with Lauren on Instagram, @lauren_nicole1128!

Alexis Nwaiwu

Alexis is graduating with her Bachelor’s in Journalism, with a minor in Entertainment and Media Management. In Alexis’ attendance at Georgia State University, she served as a member of Her Campus GSU, the Captain of All-Girl Cheer Squad, the All-Star Cheer Coach and was the 2016 Cheersport National Champion. Alexis’ post-grad plans include pursuing a Master’s Degree in Sports Management. Her advice for underclassmen is, “Find your passion, go for your goals, and stay true to yourself”.

You can keep up with Alexis on Instagram, @xLexxLove!

Mikayla Danielle Swinson

Mikayla is graduating with her Bachelor’s in Political Science with a Pre Law Concentration, and is minoring in African American Studies. In Mikayla’s  attendance at Georgia State University, she served as a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc., National Society of Collegiate Scholars, Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society, and as the Co-Marketing Chair for College Curls. Upon graduating, Mikayla intends to take the LSAT again in June and apply to law school for Fall 2018. Until then, she will be interning at a law firm in Atlanta. Her advice to underclassmen is, “College is more than just school, it is a time to find yourself. Don’t live in fear go out, get involved, and make connections/relationships that can last a lifetime” and her quote is, “What you are is God’s gift to you. What you become is your gift to God”.

You can keep up with Mikayla on Instagram, @xo_mikaylaa!

Fortune E. Onwuzuruike

Fortune is graduating with his Bachelors in Health IT. In Fortune’s attendance at Georgia State University he has served as Georgia State’s first Consolidate SGA President, a student ambassador for 1913 Society, and is the Spring 2017 Neil Hamilton Trotter Recipient. Fortune has also joined the largest health system in Georgia Wellstar Health System Association application analyst Epic Security/HIM. Upon graduating Fortune plans to go back to school in the fall for his Master’s, (stay tuned for which university)! His advice for underclassmen is, “You miss 100% of shots you don’t take. All you have to do is decide what you want to do, when you want to do it and how you will do it. From that point on the world will move out of your way”.

You can keep up with Fortune on Instagram, @Onwuzuruike9!

Stacey Brown  

Stacey is graduating with her Bachelor’s in Biology, minoring in Chemistry. In Stacey’s attendance attendance at Georgia State University, she served as a member of the National Council of Negro Women. Upon graduating, Stacey intends to attend graduate school for Prosthetics and Orthotics. Her advice for underclassmen is, “ It’s okay to not have a plan or to have it completely together. Just Trust God’s plan”. Stacey’s favorite quote is, “She keeps her struggle as trophies, she wears her scars as jewelry”- Amen Amare

You can keep up with Stacey on Instagram, @stacey_n_thehouse!

India Kelly

India is graduating with her Bachelors in Psychology minoring in Hospitality Administration. In India’s attendance at Georgia State University she has served as Director of Membership for Spotlight Programs Board, a member of Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society, a member of National Society of Collegiate Scholars, Psi Chi Honor Society, Student Alumni Association, and The National Council of Negro Women, Inc., Webmistress. She has received awards such as Spotlight Programs Board Committee Member of the Year, Who’s Who amongst College Students, Miss Black & Gold Scholarship Pageant 2015 Highest GPA. India’s current occupation is working for the Georgia Tech Athletic Hospitality as a floor captain. Upon graduating India intends to go to the Air Force as an officer this year & to attend graduate school for her Master’s in Counseling to become a counseling psychologist next year. India’s advice for underclassmen is, “Keep God first. Don’t get lost in the sauce- meaning stay true to yourself & don’t try to keep up with everyone else. Take your time & enjoy life. Get involved. Take your academics seriously. All your choices affect your life, no one else. Don’t stress. Find what you love to do. Make sure your work matches your faith and vice versa”, and her favorite quote is “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me”.

You can keep up with India on Instagram, @indiajk!

Carmen Byron

Carmen is graduating with her Bachelors in Criminal Justice with a concentration in Legal Studies. In Carmen’s attendance at Georgia State University, she has served as a member of NCNW, College Girls Rock, National Association of Black In Criminal Justice (NABCJ), Blacks In Government (BIG) and the National Congress of Black Women, and as an Administrative Assistant for he US Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of Georgia.

You can keep up with Carmen on Instagram, @_carmenrenee, on Twitter, @WatchMe_Smile, and on snapchat, b.carmen!

Alexis Chanel Harris

Alexis is graduating with her Bachelors in Environmental Science. In Alexis’ attendance at Georgia State University she has served as the President, Philanthropy Chair, and Membership Chair for University Housing’s Green Team, the Secretary for Student Environmental Team, Black Student Alliance, Tree Campus USA, Community Service Chair of Alpha Kappa Psi Professional Business Fraternity, Pi Chapter (Fall 2014 Initiate), an Intern at the City of Atlanta Mayor’s Office of Sustainability, and a student Employee for the Panthercard Office. Upon graduating, Alexis intends to obtain an Urban Forestry Technician position with Trees Atlanta, start an environmental non-profit organization, travel to Jamaica and Cancun, and take missionary trip to Grenada. Her advice for underclassmen is, “Hard times will come but know that Jesus will see you through it all. Stay strong, stay devoted, and stay true to yourself through every endeavor”, and her quote is, “Class of 2017, we outchea. Eastside forever”.

You can keep up with Alexis on Instagram, and on Twitter, @lexischanel__!

Myles Bostic

Myles is graduating with his Bachelor’s in Excercise Science with a concentration in Occupational Therapy. In Myles’ attendance at Georgia State University, he has served as a member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc., 1913 Society, New Student Orientation Leader, been on the Dean’s List for 3 years, is employed in Guest Services as an Associate at Corporate Sports and an intership with Play Matters Occupational Therapy and attending Occupational Therapy School .. His advice to underclassmen is, “To defy each and every odd placed against you” and his quote is, “There is no fear for ones whose mind is not filled with desires” -Buddha.

You can keep up with Myles on Instagram, @IAmMyles_ , and on snapchat, IAmMyles_!

Malique Daniels

Malique is graduating with her Bachelors in Film and Video minoring in Entertainment Media Management. In Malique’s attendance at Georgia State University she has served as a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. and  College Curls, Inc. Upon graduating, Malique intends to move to New York and become a Teacher Assistant (*crosses fingers*). Malique’s advice for underclassmen is “Have fun and stay positive. Everything is doable or you wouldn’t be here”, and her quote is, “What you tolerate becomes your standard”.

You can keep up with Malique on Instagram, @Killing_Fudge!

Lina A Perez

Lina is graduating with her Bachelors in Marketing. In Lina’s attendance at Georgia State University she has served as the Vice President of New Membership of Zeta Tau Alpha Fraternity. Upon graduating, Lina intends to become the Property Administrator for Cushman and Wakefield. Her quote is “You are your biggest competition”.

You can keep up with Lina on Instagram, @lin_per, and on twitter, @linaperez00!

Lesley Jones

Lesley is graduating with her Bachelors in Journalism minoring in Sociology. In Lesley’s attendance at Georgia State University she has served as the Director of Communications for College Curls for two years and has worked in the Office of Academic Assistance for the Byrdine F. Lewis School of Nursing. Upon graduating, Lesley intends to work as a Communications and Marketing Specialist for the IT Department at The Coca-Cola Company. Her quote is “You can start late, look different, be uncertain- and still succeed.”- Misty Copeland

You can keep up with Lesley on Instagram, @LesleyJones_!

Eugene Butler

Eugene is graduating with his Bachelor’s in Political Science, minoring in Pre-law Concentration. In Eugene’s attendance at Georgia State University, he has served as the Executive Vice President for Alpha Kappa Psi Professional Business Fraternity, Inc, on the Board of Directors for the Student Alumni Association, a Mentor for Big Brother, Big Sister, a member of Who’s Who Among College Students, a Peer Mentor for Office of Undergraduate Studies, a Tour Guide for the Welcome Center, Tour Guide, a member of Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society, a member of National Collegiate Honor Society, PR for the National Black Law Student Association, a Mentor/Executive Ambassador for Peerless Perfexion, Mentor/ Executive Ambassador, a mentor for Campus P.A.L.S., a volunteer for BOOF (Banking on Our Future), an Outstanding Student Leader, NACA South Region a member of the Student Center Advisory Council, an Inceptor for the New Student Orientation, the Traditions Director for Spotlight Programming Board, a LEAD Team member for Leadership Development, a member of the University Wide Homecoming Committee, a member of the GSU and GPC Consolidation Committee and as a member of Panther Leap. Eugene’s advice for underclassmen is, “RIGHT NOW!, think of 5 things, you think you can’t do or would surprise you if it happened, and go make it happen! College is about learning, making memories, and having no regrets. Remember, the only way to avoid criticism is to say nothing, do nothing, and be nothing and that is simply not the way to live!”. His favorite quotes include, “Proverbs 3: 5-6: Trust in the Lord with all your heart; and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him,  and he will make your paths straight”. Upon graduating Eugene plans to attend law school in Fall 2017 and become an attorney.

You can keep up with Eugene on Instagram, @nohero_justgeno!

Nia Ballard

Nia is graduating with her Bachelors in Journalism with a concentration in Public Relations and is double minoring in Spanish and Theatre. In Nia’s attendance at Georgia State University she has served as the Vice President of Zeta Phi Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta, Inc., President of College Curls and the 2016-2017 Ms. Georgia State University. Upon graduating, Nia intends to immediately work in the field of PR, focusing in entertainment. Most of her experience is in Music however, she plans to tap into a few more sectors of the entertainment industry such as personal PR for actors and athletes. She also intends to eventually own and manage her own PR agency, and launch her personal blog and merchandise. Her advice to underclassmen is, “Be open to the changes college comes with but be strong-minded, true to yourself, and focused. These next four years will go so fast, so make sure you take full advantage of each day. Make these precious days memorable!!”, and her quotes are, “Do justly, love kindness, and walk humbly with God” – Micah 6:8; “If God is for us, then who can be against us?” – Romans 8:31; and “Not all those who wander are lost” – J. R. R Tolkien.

You can keep up with Nia on Instagram, @niachantal, and on Twitter, @niachantal_!

Shana Paul

Shana is graduating with her Bachelors in Criminal Justice. In Shana’s attendance at Georgia State University she has served as a contributor for Her Campus GSU, a Social Chair for the Pi chapter of Alpha Kappa Psi Professional Business Fraternity, 2017 Date Auction Chair, 2016 Royal Court Chair for Spotlight Programs Board and a Traditions Committee Member for Spotlight. Upon graduating, Shana has accepted a position with the Atlanta District Attorney’s Office and also has an internship with the Gregory A. Adams, DeKalb County Juvenile Justice Court. Her advice for underclassmen is, “I think the most important thing I want to leave with underclassmen is to remember why you came to college. It is so easy to get caught up and distracted, never lose sight of what is important. Also, go out and get involved; you will meet some amazing people. Create memories that you can look back at later on.  I’ve met some of my closest friends by just getting out there and meeting people. Trust me, Georgia State has something for everyone” and her quote is, “We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we’re curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths”– Walt Disney.

You can keep up with Shana on Instagram, @itss_shayna!

Marissa- Maya Little

Marissa is graduating with her Bachelors in Hospitality Administration. In Marissa’s attendance at Georgia State University she has served as an Emerging leader, Black Sophomore Society President, College Girls Rock Secretary, College Girls Rock Co-Scholarship Chair, and a member of  the “Enchanting” Eta Mu Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Incorporated. (Fall 2015 initiate).  Marissa’s quote is, “She is clothed with strength and dignity; She laughs without fear of the future” – Proverbs 31:25

You can keep up with Marissa on Instagram, @xo_mm and on Twitter, @LittleMissRiss_!

Alexandra-Elise Dakaud

Alexandra is graduating with her Bachelors in Neuroscience with a Pre-medical Concentration. In Alexandra’s attendance at Georgia State University she has served as a Volunteer Chair for the Minority Association of Pre-Health Students, Member of the African Students Association, Annual Health Professions Fair Volunteer, Discovery Day Volunteer and has been employed as a Student Assistant at the ALC Helpdesk, Childcare Provider at Barre3, and Event Assistant at Fresh Empire. Alexandra’s other accolades include her status as Cum Laude, being a Nu Rho Psi Honors Society Member, and in the Golden Key International Honour Society. Upon graduating, Alexandra intends to attend Medical School and is currently deciding between Meharry Medical College, Medical College of Georgia, and Morehouse School of Medicine. Her advice for underclassmen is, “Work smart not hard! It’s harder to pull your GPA as an upperclassman since you’ve taken so many classes! Plus the ~1000 level classes are going to be the easiest classes you take!”, and her quote is, “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future” – Jeremiah 29:11.

You can keep up with Alexandra on Instagram, @an.elliephant!

Ashley Nicole Mayo

Ashley is graduating with her Bachelors in Journalism minoring in Psychology. In Ashley’s attendance at Georgia State University she served as the Social Media Chair for Her Campus GSU, is graduating with Honors and is an Album 88/Alumni Association Scholarship recipient. Upon graduating, Ashley intends to spend the summer with family, catch up on reading all the books she couldn’t read during the semester and also hunt for jobs and internships, as well as for apartments. She also intends to work on building her blog website. Her advice to underclassmen is, “Go to class – seriously! Don’t procrastinate, utilize a planner, get to know your professors (at least ones you like) and get some general letters of recommendation before hand. Join at least one beneficial student organization. Exercise before class if possible a few times a week, drink your water! Be patient, you’ll get there, just slay your grades”.

You can keep up with Ashley on Instagram, @ashleyyXO_!

Breanna S. Allen

Breanna is graduating with her Bachelors in Journalism minoring in Speech. In Breanna’s attendance at Georgia State University she served as a member of the Eta Mu chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc., on the Board of Directors for the Student Alumni Association, as a member of Dance Ensemble at GSU, Collegiate 100 of Atlanta, Pinky Promise Welcome team, and Global Ambassador-Office of International Initiatives (Summer Institute 2016). Her advice for underclassmen is, “Enjoy every moment while in college. Be active on campus, meet new people, network and connect, and just be yourself!” and her quote is, “ I can do all this through him who gives me strength” – Phillipians 4:13.

You can keep up with Breanna on Instagram, @_littlemissbree!

Ravin Williams

Ravin is graduating with her Bachelors in Psychology minoring in African American Studies. In Ravin’s attendance at Georgia State University she served as the Vice-President for College Girls Rock Inc., Public Relations Chair for National Council of Negro Women, Resident Assistant for University Housing, Undergraduate Teaching assistant for Advance Research Design and Data Analysis (Psyc 3530) and has been self employed as the CEO and Founder of JaGurl TV. Upon graduating, Ravin intends to find an internship while building and promoting her brand, JaGurl TV. Her advice for underclassmen is, “Make sure you go to your professors office hours. Your professors are there to help you. Even if you don’t have a question, just go and get to know them. When it’s time for grades they always give favor to those who they believe cares about the class. How would they know you care if they don’t see you besides in class? Sometimes you have to go above and beyond”, and her quote is, “I can not blame anyone but myself if I do not succeed”.

You can keep up with Ravin on Instagram, @jagurlravin, @jagurltv and check out her website www.jagurltv.com!

Her Campus GSU would like to offer congratulations to ALL Spring 2017 graduates, and wish you the best in all of your future endeavors! Cheers, you made it!

Hey there! I'm Krystal, the former 2015-2017 President of Her Campus GSU, and an alumna of Georgia State University. You can now catch me on krystalcaliyah.com. Cheers!