Hispanic Artists to Check Out this Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

In honor of Hispanic Heritage Month, I put together a list of seven artists and songs from each of them that I think everyone will absolutely love. If you are looking for a way to celebrate this month or have been wanting to venture out and listen to different music, this is the article for you!

dancing scene from In The Heights
Photo by Macall Polay / Warner Bros

Bad Bunny

Bad Bunny is a Puerto Rican rapper who has recently reached a new height in his career after releasing his latest album Un Verano Sin Ti to the point where non-Spanish speakers like to listen to him. Bad Bunny began releasing music in 2016. As someone who has been listening to Bad Bunny since the beginning, I adore all his music. However, his recent album is my favorite of all his albums. I recommend listening to his songs…

1. “Tití Me Pregunto”
  2. “Me Porto Bonito”
  3. “Efecto”
  4. “Dos Mil 16”
  5. “Me Mata”

Rauw Alejandro

Rauw Alejandro, also known as the “King of Modern Reggaeton” by his fans, is a Puerto Rican singer and songwriter. His first song, which featured other artists, is called “Toda.” It came out in 2017 and I proudly still listen to it today. His latest single release, “Punto 40,” has been taking TikTok by storm as people post the trending dance. My song recommendations for Rauw are..

1. “Lokera” 
  2. “Todo De Ti”
  3. “Dream Girl”
  4. “Enchule”
  5. “Loquita”

Natti Natasha

Natti Natasha is a Dominican singer. In 2012, she came out with her first album, All About Me, which was also her first time releasing music. Ever since then she has been making music and collaborating with other artists. Natti and her music stand for women’s empowerment with lyrics like “Cuidao’, las mujeres tienen poder.” This translates to “Be careful, women have power.” She loves collaborating with other female artists like Becky G, Anitta, Maria Becerra, and Bebe Rexha. She mentioned that they try to pit women against each other in the music industry. She believes women are stronger together. I recommend listening to these songs by Natti Natasha..

1. “Oh Daddy”
  2. “Que Mal Te Fue”
  3. “Diosa (Remix)”
  4. “Philliecito”
  5. “Lokita”

Becky G

Many of you probably recognize this name, as Becky G has come out with many famous hit singles like “Shower” and “Can’t Stop Dancin’.” However, in 2016 she switched from singing in English to Spanish. Since then, Becky G’s career has been very successful and she has continued to rise in fame and recognition. Becky G is of Mexican descent and proudly represents her country through her music, through her makeup brand, and through her outfit choices. Becky G is another artist that stands for women’s empowerment. She is always collaborating with female artists in the industry. She is actually friends with Natti Natasha and they have made a few songs together such as “Sin Pijama”, “Ram Pam Pam”, and “Dura (Remix).” Here are my favorite songs from her..

1. “MAMIII”
  2. “TAJIN”
  3. “Sin Pijama”
  4. “NO MIENTEN”
  5. “NI DE TI NI DE NADIE”

Karol G

Karol G is a Colombian singer and songwriter. She released her first song, “Ricos Besos,” in 2014 and has consistently released music since then. She has collaborated with artists like Bad Bunny, Nicki Minaj, and Becky G. I like listening to Karol G when I need a little boost in confidence. I recommend listening to these songs from her..

1. “PROVENZA”
  2. “GATÚBELA”
  3. “SEJODIOTO”
  4. “BICHOTA”
  5. “Un Viaje”

Lenny Tavárez

Lenny Tavárez is a Puerto Rican singer and trapper. He released his first single, “La Nena,” in 2014. Lately, he has become more of a household name as he continues to make music. I have been listening to his music since 2017 and he has a really nice voice. He came out with an album in 2021 called KRACK and the album is filled with excellent songs that you guys should check out. Here are more of my favorite songs from Lenny Tavárez..

1. “Sorpresa”
  2. “Discípulo”
  3. “Loco Por Verte”
  4. “Kush”
  5. “Otra Día Lluvioso”

Wisin y Yandel

Wisin & Yandel are a reggaeton duo from Puerto Rico. These two are legends in the Latinx community. They have made their mark with their music. They started releasing music in the year 2000 and even though most of their music is from the early 2000s and 2010s, you will still hear it at clubs or see people playing it today. They have recently released an album called La Última Misión. It sounds like their old music with today’s top artists. More songs of theirs I recommend are..

1. “Vapor”
  2. “Rakata”
  3. “Chica Bombastic”
  4. “Pegao”
  5. “Estoy Enamorado”

Happy Hispanic Heritage Month! I hope you all enjoy my music recommendations and were able to find something you like!

Hello everyone! I'm Sarah Torres, an anthropology major and marketing minor at GSU. I am also a proud Cuban and Dominican. Writing is a big hobby of mine and I hope you guys enjoy my writing this year!