This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Company Name: Regal Hues

Company Founded Date: October 1, 2016

Interviewee Name: Gabrielle Symone

Grabielle Symone is the founder of Regal Hues. Regals Hues is “a mix of trendy, simple, and statement-making apparel, designed for the man and woman on the go.” In an interview with Her Campus GSU, Symone tells us about how Regal Hues began and where the brand is headed.

HC: Why did you start Regal Hues?

GS: I started my company, really almost, out of frustration. I was walking into the mall to find a cute shirt for a concert and I couldn’t find something that really spoke to me when I went into different retailers. So a friend of mine told me, “Why don’t you just design you own shirt?” So I got home and went on my computer and I said, “let me just design my own shirt,” and I took it to another company to have it made. I got so many compliments on the shirt that I had made, and after the concert my friend said, “Why don’t you just start your own t-shirt line?” At first I was unsure because I didn’t think that was for me, but after doing all of my research I was like let me just start! It was kind of like going out of my day-to-day routine, and coming across something that really spoke to me.

HC: Would you say that the frustration to find pieces tailored to your style contributed to your inspiration to starting Regal Hues?

GB: Yes, because I love graphic tees, especially with a message. I felt like we were missing something in the market place with that message. So I began to jot down some things that I would want to see on a shirt and I started creating it, and that was really my inspiration. [It was] just the lack of some of the things that were missing.

HC: What is the purpose of Regal Hues?

GS: The name came from Regal, meaning King and Queens. [Along with] Hues, as in different shades, so the different shades of brown. It’s all about promoting that love for every type of brown skin, from fair skin to the really deep chocolate skin tone. I’m putting positive messages on the shirts to uplift all people of color. That was my goal, to spread the message to enjoy and embrace your skin color.

HC: In the process of building your brand, what was one of the biggest obstacles you faced and how did you overcome it?

GS: My biggest obstacle was more so on the legal side of things. I think that when people start businesses they think a lot about the creative aspect and what we want it to be as a brand [as opposed to] protecting our brand. You want to make sure you go through the proper channels with the state and federal government. You can have all the greatest ideas, but if you’re not protected someone can come and snatch it from right from underneath you.

HC: How did you deal with taking a nontraditional approach to your career?

GS: I think entrepreneurship in general is an up-and-down battle, some days you feel really good about it and other days you may feel like, “What am I doing?” I feel like the non-traditional route is the best way for these times, especially being able to market [your brand] through social media. I think the non-traditional way is becoming more regular. You don’t have to box yourself in and you don’t have to take certain steps to get the same outcome. I also think it’s a bit more fun.

HC: Where do you see Regal Hues going in 5 year?

GS: I really want my brand to expand. Right now, I do vendor shows around Atlanta and I’ve done a few that have been out-of-state. I really want it to become a household brand, where it’s recognizable like Nike and Adidas. I want it to expand to other pieces of apparel as well. Eventually, I want to do a more upscale couture line that could go into department stores.

HC: What advice would you give young entrepreneurs who want to pursue their own brand?

GS: I would say make sure you plan everything out, and be very detailed. Also, find someone who is going to be a good cheerleader for you, someone whose opinion you value. A support team is important. Stay consistent and don’t give in cause it may be hard the first couple of years, but it is worth it. The minute you see someone out with your merchandise on, it makes it real. 

To keep up with Regal Hues by following them on Instagram, @regal.hues, or visit their website regalhues.com.

All photos are provided by Regal Hues. 

Sierra Jenkins is currently a student at Georgia State University studying journalism and African American studies. Jenkins aspires to enlighten and inform others through her writing. She believes it is important to have conversations and create dialogue around topics that aren't always discussed publicly. Jenkins strives to break societal barriers through her use of words and set an example for other women from all walks of life.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus