HCGSU Pop Up Plaza: Deep Routage

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Company Name: Deep Routage

Company Date Founded: August 2017

Interviewee name: Waynesia Bland

1. Why did you start your company?

I started my company to inspire and unite women of all different walks of life. That’s why my tagline is “A style for every story.” I want to be the common place between different girl bosses. Whether they’re doing hair, makeup, or traveling, I want my business to be that common denominator.

1. Who inspired you to start your company?

There are many different brands and people that inspired me to start my company.

In particular, @iammilanrouge, @elankouture, @jazzallureswimwear, and @lalajmassmarketing. I’m inspired by their motivation and work ethic. It just pushed me to do something and want to make a difference.

1. What is the purpose of your company?

It’s all about uniting women from all walks of life. I have different accessories. I could not choose one thing because everybody is different. That’s why I sell so many different accessories. A makeup artist can come and get a makeup bag whereas a hair stylist may be interested in my wig stand. It’s all about bringing women together and women empowerment.

Photo credit: @deeproutage 

1. In the process of building your company, what was one of the biggest obstacles you faced and how did you overcome it?

Because I’m a Journalism major, the biggest obstacle I faced was trying to tie my business to what I’m in school for. That’s been one of the biggest challenges for me. I came up with the idea of starting a fashion blog so that way when it comes time to apply for jobs, I’ll still be able to use my brand.

1. How did you deal with taking a nontraditional approach to your career?

I did a lot of research. I think that’s the most important thing. First, you have to figure out what you want to do and then figuring out how you want to do it. With a traditional way, the guidelines are set for you and for the non-traditional way, you have to define everything for yourself. Getting a lot of advice is really what got me through.

1. Where do you see Deep Routage going in 5 years?

Bigger than the product. Bigger than what I’m selling or who is buying it. I just want to be remembered for making a difference and making women feel that sense of empowerment. I want to be remembered in five years as someone who empowers and inspires. I want people to say “Oh, this person made me chase my dreams.”

1. What advice would you give young entrepreneurs who want to pursue their own brand?

Don’t be afraid to ask questions. You don’t have to do everything on your own. Use your resources. If you have a friend that does networking events, figure out how you can become a part of it. Asking questions is really the biggest thing. You can spend a lot of time doing research on your own but there can be someone who can give you that information within three minutes. Stay focused as well and realize that in the beginning of starting a business, you may spend more money than you actually make. It has to mean more to you than just money. You have to be willing to invest in your future.

8. How can readers stay connected with you and your brand?

I’m in the process of getting my website finished so I’ll have a mailing list. But, as of right now you can follow us on Instagram @deeproutage.

Photo credit: @deeproutage

Olivia Hancock is currently an undergraduate Journalism student at Georgia State University. She has over four years of experience in the editorial and social media field. Her written work covers lifestyle, entertainment, fashion, and beauty related topics. I have been published on platforms including PRETTY GIRLS SWEAT, Her Campus, 21Ninety, The Life Currency, and xoNecole. Most recently, she joined the Atlanta-based One Music Fest editorial team and Colour Beauty Inc's social media team as an intern. She now serves as the Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus GSU chapter.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus