HCGSU Pop Up Plaza: Choked2Death

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Company Name: Choked2Death

Company Date Founded: Janurary 24, 2017

Interviewee name: Armani Sucki

HC: Why did you start your company?

AS: Well since I was little, I’ve always loved accessories. I feel like it just makes the outfit.

HC: Who inspired you to start your company?

AS: My sisters inspired me! They don’t do the same thing as I do, but they have their own company. They basically have been working for themselves since they were 15 years old, so they really inspired me to go out there and do it for myself.

HC: What is the purpose of your company?

AS: I just want to, as far as people shopping with me, it’s more of a experience. I want people to be confident about what their wearing. I’m trying to basically empower women. I know my company is accessories but it’s like more to it than that. I want you to feel beautiful and confident about yourself and that’s really the main reason. As far as outfits goes, I want people to see that someone actually notices something different about them.

HC: In the process of building your company, what was one of the biggest obstacles you faced and how did you overcome it?

AS: The biggest obstacle for me was actually starting. I was afraid that no one was going to support me and nobody would believe in me. And there’s everyday obstacles because with a business your not really guaranteed anything. You can put as much in as you want but that doesn’t make it a guarantee that you’re going to get something back. So that’s why I don’t look at it as deposit, I look at it as I want you to feel better about yourself. I know, if don’t build that customer loyalty I wouldn’t have anybody with me period. It all about the experience while shopping with me.

HC: How did you deal with taking a nontraditional approach to your career?

AS: Having your own business is not for everybody. A lot of people see that opportunity as I can just work for myself but they don’t realize that your putting in double work than if you were working a 9-5. And it’s crazy because I still have a job, but when I come home from work I still have to work on my company. I work on my business all throughout the day. Even when I’m on my break at the other job, I’m still working. It’s like a never ending cycle. You really have to put in a lot of time, and also cut a lot of things out. It’s really all about sacrifice.

HC: How do you balance everything from your company to working another job?

AS: I honestly don’t know. I find myself getting frustrated a lot because it’s like so many things I want to do and I have to just fit it in my schedule. I don’t like to half do anything. I want to put in the extra work to eventually open up my own boutique. And when I do get to that point, I don’t want to have to close up the shop because I didn’t put in enough work now. I want everything to be done properly. A lot of times my friends want to hang out and I can’t because I’m at home making stuff, trying to make things look right. I’m only 20 and I feel like I’ve already experienced the parties and fun, now it’s time to get to work.

HC: Where do you see Choked2Death going in 5 years?

AS: I want to have my own boutique, that is my biggest goal at this moment. I do want it here in Atlanta but also in the major cities. Im also not going to limit myself just to that. I’ve actually been researching a lot and I want my products to be sold at major department stores. So that’s what I’m working on now.

HC: What advice would you give young entrepreneurs who want to pursue their own brand?

AS: I would say never give up. Don’t let anyone discourage you. You really have to be strong minded about it because like I said before you’re not guarantee anything. Use social media, it can be a very powerful thing for your company. Also step out your comfort zone! Being shy can’t be an option.

HC: What do you do to recharge when you’re feeling drained?

AS: I sleep of course, go for a walk or I’ll read. Right now I’m reading this poetry book by r.h.Sin. He writes love poems, the one I’m reading is called Rest in the Mourning.

You can keep up with

Choked2Death:

@choked2death – Instagram

@choked2death_ – Twitter

&

Armani Suki:

@manishania_ – Instagram

@armanii..s – Snapchat

*all photos from @manishania_ & @choked2death Instagram.

Thank you for reading! Hope you check out all the cute chokers, Choked2Death has! 

xoxo, HCGSU

Brie Black is a sophomore at Georgia State University, majoring in Journalism. Coming from Farmington Hills, MI, Brie enjoys a good book, spoken word, working out and studying God's word. Nothing can stop Brie from reaching her goals, her ambition and strong relationship with God keeps her willing to create the best content for her readers and make it as an editor-in-chief of her future magazine line. Along with being a writer and blogger, Brie is apart of Pretty Girls Sweat and Pinky Promise. You can keep up with Brie on all social media platforms @allthingsbrie and LinkedIn.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus